A plea for us to be open minded

I get so sad every time I open up my Twitter these days. I say Twitter because that is one of the few social media outlets I still use. I actually got rid of Facebook, and had recently installed Twitter back on my phone, but am starting to regret it. I don’t understand why people feel as if they always need to be right. I’m not perfect, and I falter at times, but some of the stuff I see is just so disturbing.
I’ve been seeing a lot of discussion about the obvious big topic right now (abortion news). I am not going to get into it, because that’s not the point of this post. I just want to ask people to be open minded. I see too many people having a single opinion, and if someone challenges that opinion they’re wrong. I can full heartedly say that this is the best community I’ve ever been a part of. I just don’t want to see that type of toxicity poison us.
So I mainly felt like posting to ask anyone who reads this, to just listen. We should try to learn from one another, instead of putting each other down for mere opinions. Instead of questioning someone for going through depression, put yourself in their shoes, and lend some advice. Instead of judging someone who self harms, do some research, and try to understand it.
Again, this isn’t aimed at anyone particular. I just read a lot of stuff this morning that made me feel so disturbed. I love all of you here, and don’t want any of us to be at odds with each other. If you took time out to read this, thank you. I hope we can all get better at supporting one another, instead of feeling despise, myself included. Hold Fast everyone and much love to you!

6 Likes

I appreciate this, thank you @HoldxSteel Thank you.

2 Likes

@HoldxSteel, friend! Could not have worded this any better myself. Yes! None of us are born perfect, and none of us has all the answers no matter how much we try to pretend we do in the moment to “win” in an argument, and even then that is no excuse to use such harsh language towards others of differing viewpoints or to try and defame someone else’s character. The fact of the matter is that we believe the things we believe for one reason or another, we are all very different and we should be willing to open ourselves up to those differences in order to learn more about each other. Our differences make us the beautiful individuals we are!

1 Like

Thanks for understanding it @adam_actual and @Hannah_Presley. Yeah, I totally wasn’t talking about anyone I know in the HS community. Although I do know people like this outside of it, even family. I was just so fired up yesterday when I saw people commenting to one another on another forum. Like I said, even I’ve felt like I had to be right in certain circumstances. I’ve learned to listen a lot more and respect other people’s opinions before firing off at the mouth, lol. Adam, I always see you in the streams bro, thanks for being so positive and taking time out to respond. @Hannah_Presley thank you for responding as well, and you’re welcome. I don’t think I’ve formally met you but I’m Steel, it’s a pleasure. I hope you two are doing great, much love!!!

1 Like

I totally agree, @HoldxSteel. I also feel like there is such a culture of outrage these days. It’s like, both sides of any given issue are screaming at each other, and if you try to make peace, then you’re part of the problem. I have my own strong convictions, but I’m also able to understand the other side’s perspective. I just wish we could all learn to get along better.

2 Likes

@HoldxSteel Hi, I am Hannah Presley, I am the fundraising intern for HS. We may have met at the Gala back in march briefly. You’re pretty active on the Twitch, right? I think I have seen you there before, I don’t make it into the streams nearly as often as I want to. It’s good to officially meet you!!!

2 Likes

I’m very careful about what I follow on social media. Especially in regards to politics and confrontational subjects. I’m a very live and let live kind of person and don’t like how people attack one another when they have separate opinions. Our world has forgotten how to express themselves with love and respect and too often people need to feel right and willingly say hurtful things. Especially online where they can hide behind their computer screens and fake names.

I stick to following things that bring me happiness. Other creatives. Other streamers who advocate for mental health and heart support, and positive gamers. I can’t handle following people who have a tenancy to post hurtful things or be in the center of drama

Yes it’s nice to be up to date on the news but I definitely recommend filling your feed with happier things if you plan to spend more time on it. It saves you a lot of stress and anxiety from toxicity.

I generally keep my opinions to myself. I never post in comments on posts across media. That’s just way too scary and risky. And I’m far too sensitive to handle it.

Appreciate you friend.

1 Like

@Hannah_Presley Heyyyy, sorry my memory is crap. If I remember correctly though we met on the morning right after the Gala? If not I apologize though. Yeah I go to a lot of the streams. Why aren’t you as active? I’d love to see you around more. I normally work at nights so spend most of my time in Dan’s stream, but love art as well. Anyway, I’m glad we have this line of communication now. Don’t be a stranger friend!

Hey friend. I love you so much! Social media can be really frustrating and toxic. Just remind yourself that even though there are bad things in the world, there are also good things. Love you friend❤️

1 Like

Thanks @nicole_kaley you are awesome blossom! So glad that HS has led you into my life. Such a supportive and positive force you are!!! I love you too!!!

Hear hear!!

Thank you for this. I agree completely

1 Like

Yo @judo_pup, thanks so much for reading, and glad to have you in the community brother!