Celebrating Christmas alone, my own way

Don’t worry, it’s not as bad as it sounds.
I am chronically depressed and have Autism, the first likely to be consequence to the second, and Christmas can be a horrid occasion for those with mental issues. So what I am trying to say in my roundabout way, is to mind the expectations of your surroundings, but at the same time take care of yourself. Don’t hide yourself in your room with the Xbox because people won’t understand you preferring that to being social, because they don’t understand your problems, and they will come to bother you, even if the gesture itself is meant as kind. And how can they understand? They are not living it, they are on the outside, listening to your words, but they can’t really understand.
People will expect you to be happy, and social, because ‘it’s the season to be merry’, and even the thought of it can be too much. But you can take time away from the family pressures by going for a walk before or after dinner, just by saying you need some air, to escape the noise for a while, people will accept that easier, and they won’t be able to bother you while you do so. So it’s a win. I will be out too, walking, so no matter how far away you really are, just know that you won’t be alone, and I’ll be singing on Twitch, just because I want to, for all the Lonely Hearts out there.

So stay safe during these diffucult days, y’all. Manage the stress the holidays bring, walk away instead of engaging, and you’ll find you too can survive it.

Martin / ThatOldDutchGuy

4 Likes

Yes, i will be doing that also. I am alone aswell, and it’s hard for me, especially now with Christmas and the holidays. So i will be out taking a walk and try and clear my head of thoughts and enjoy the quiet.

Good to know I won’t be the only one out there. :slight_smile: