Concerned About Medical Advising On These Forums

Hi guys, I’ve noticed there have been a few posts that have asked for medical advice and then people responded with advice on what medications people should and shouldn’t take.

I don’t think seeking advice about medication here is a good idea for anyone. Medication responds to everyone differently. As I stated in one of the posts, what works for you may not work for someone else. And what didn’t work for you may work for someone else.

DONT tell anyone what medication to take. I’m not even sure if we should be sharing what medications we are taking. That’s kinda on @Danjo @Casers and mods to decide.

But I wanted to bring it to attention. Any medications and medical advice should be coming from your doctors and your doctors alone. Don’t take anything told here regarding that too serious without first going to your primary care doctor! That could be so dangerous.

Seriously.

At most, all that can be recommended is, take your medication as your doctors instructed. Taking it incorrectly could cause reverse effects and serious damage.

We are friends not doctors. Don’t tell each other how to or what medications to take.

If anyone feels this is out of line let me know.

I was just a little worried as I’ve seen multiple posts since I’ve joined. And the responses seemed concerning.

Be safe friends.

9 Likes

i myself am a medical practitioner and don’t diagnos or pseudo prescribe… its very dangerous and foolish. thank you @anon17277947 for your wisdom on the subject and your love for the community enough to say “no this isnt right”. that’s sometimes the hardest kind of love to show, but sometimes the most important.

7 Likes

I have to echo the above sentiments as well on this. I have worked in pharmacy both on the outpatient (pharmacy technician) and inpatient (mainly in IT) sides and randomly giving medical advice, especially in regards to medications is like playing with fire. Yes, medication advice can be well intended, but given the trial and error of nature of many drugs used for psychiatric use today (I can speak from personal experience) input is best sought from a medical professional that is licensed to prescribe these types of meds versus using the various online recommendations on a whim. @anon17277947 thank you for touching on this, because this is not just a safety issue it can people’s lives at stake.

1 Like

Thank you @crazytrain116 and @Casual_Hero. I appreciate your guys understanding. I hope everyone else does as well. I forwarded the issue to Dan and the team so they could further investigate and address it.

I just worried about the younger users especially. Who may not know better not to take something to heart that may need a more professional guidance.

Very scary.

1 Like

I agree but medical professionals don’t tell you all the negative side effects. It’s important to research them and double check they don’t interfere with other medications. I wish I had never taken an SSRI, they weren’t easy to get off of. Also I have non alcoholic fatty liver that I would contribute to all the meds I was on for years (I don’t drink). @anon17277947 @Casual_Hero @crazytrain116

That makes sense. It’s good to do your research. But places like this are not really the best place for it. Especially when we get very young children in here. Advising and talking about medication can get dangerous. Especially when coming from or being heard by someone very young and doesn’t have the mental or emotional maturity to understand.

There’s a whole internet out there to research and learn from. (:

1 Like