Dealing with Anxiety and Depression

It’s been over a month now since I’ve been dealing with anxiety and depression. It’s a horrible feeling, it’s ranges from this dark heaviness to crippling anxiety and I just want it to end already.

Hey Soar,

I understand what you’re talking about completely. I’ve dealt with depression for 4-5 years now and crippling anxiety for about 6 months. Both of these things absolutely suck. It’s been a journey for me to find out how I function with these things. The best thing I can recommend you do is find people you can go to when you feel like this. Community is one of the most important ways to keep your depression and anxiety from controlling your life. Another thing I would recommend is focusing on something you love. For me, when I get really down, I hit up a friend and we play soccer. That cathartic release has helped me recently manage everything better. If you need to, visiting a counselor is also incredibly beneficial, or even receiving medication. There’s no shame in self care.

Hold fast,
Nate

Hey @_Soar213,

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re dealing with a bunch of anxiety and depression right now. If you haven’t already, I would highly recommend getting checked into seeing a counselor, because he/she can help you through it and teach you healthy techniques on how to fight back so you can feel better. I regularly see a counselor and I always feel better after seeing him! There’s no shame in admitting you need help! If you don’t feel like seeing someone in person, there are alternative ways to talk to a licensed counselor, such as through betterhelp.com. Hang in there! We believe in you!

-Eric

Hi Soar,

I’ll share some of my story in the hopes that some if it may resonate with you; if not, then consider me another supporter!
My issue with anxiety was sort of hidden in the shadows for the past few years of my life; in the last year it hit me really hard. I discovered that I struggle with control (or, rather, lack of it). I medicated this by over-analyzing the dumbest things, like whether or not the headlights on my car were bright enough to see deer by the road (seriously). This strained my relationship with my fiance, and that strain brought on depression, which showed itself through exhaustion (I didn’t want to eat a second piece of toast one morning and went back to bed). It’s been about 4 months since I started finding healing, and I discovered a few things. First, a ton of people struggle with anxiety and many won’t ever tackle it head-on - you’re seeking assistance in doing so, which is awesome!! Second, what Eric and Nate mentioned is totally true - counseling is huge. I’ve been in counseling for just over a year now, and I wouldn’t be writing this post if I hadn’t been going. Relying on willpower and fighting alone is likely going to leave you frustrated (it did for me). Meds are also one of many tools that will help - I stayed away at first because they felt like cheating, but they aren’t. I’ve heard medication described this way: everyone is climbing a hill and carrying a backpack of stuff. Everyone has to do the climb, but medication can make the backpack way lighter! Just be patient; they don’t work instantly. Lastly, I just want to echo the other two - hang in there, and remember that anxiety and depression don’t have the last word - you’re already one big step toward looking back on them!

-Matt