Depressed for no reason - can anyone relate?

Hi I’m new here. I’ve struggled with on and off anxiety and depression for years. I feel bad for being depressed because theres nothing like “wrong” with my life I guess. I have a good family, a few good friends and I’m successful in college. I also have a supportive romantic partner but we are long distance. A lot of the times it will hit me out of nowhere, I’ll be having a good day and then all of the sudden I just feel like crying. Kind of hopeless and alone feeling. Does this kind of thing happen to anyone else?

3 Likes

Hi Holly, and welcome to heartsupport. I can say, with honest truth, you are not the only one that feels likes this. Take it from me, sometimes talking with someone you love about it is the best thing possible. I’m always here if you want to message me. I’d be more than happy to listen. Just make sure you are very safe. a random phone call home or sending a cute message to your partner could put a smile on your face.

Be happy, be safe
Little :purple_heart: :black_heart: :purple_heart:

1 Like

Yes, although usually there is a subconscious reason or I haven’t been eating, drinking or sleeping well enough.

@Hollyb102, oh my god YES, and lately I’ve been looking into existenialism. Isolating myself in nature and just looking into myself to find myself. What I like, what makes me angry, what makes me afraid. We just have to keep pushing forward through this bump on the road

1 Like

You are definitely not alone in this. I completely understand how frustrating it is to be doing so well and then feel like you’ve ran into a brick wall out of nowhere. I wish I had all the answers for this, but as it is, all I can say is that you aren’t alone, you have support, and you are strong enough to fight through these episodes. You have all my support and encouragement, and an amazing community here to help you carry some of that burden :heart:

1 Like

Hey @Hollyb102,

Welcome to HeartSupport! I hope that you find a sense of safety and refuge within this amazing community. You are definitely not alone with feeling depressed for seemingly no reason; this is typically defined as clinical depression (as opposed to “regular” depression, which is what everyone feels here-and-there for obvious reasons [death of a friend/family member, loss of a job, etc). In people with clinical depression, the levels of certain brain chemicals are thought to be out of balance, particularly the neurotransmitters serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine. This is usually where prescription medication can help re-balance chemicals. I would highly recommend for you to check yourself into seeing a counselor and psychiatrist to further diagnose what’s going on. We want to see you get better! You’re strong and we believe in you. Hold fast.

-Eric