How do I find someone to help me start my career

Okay. I feel really stuck… I didn’t grow up in a household that encouraged me to keep working on the things I love so I ended up growing up without a talent… I’m 20 years old and I haven’t even started learning something that I can make into a career. I did graduate high school, but I’m still not qualified enough to go to college. There is no way I’ll be able to get into college. For income reasons and the fact that I can’t even pass the ACT. See the thing is, is that I’m really broke… I don’t have the money to take lessons on what I want to learn. I’m also not a good self teacher. I cannot teach myself anything at all! I need someone to actually help me learn… I really wish I could self teach myself so I wouldn’t have this problem, but I can’t! I just feel worthless because I’m not making any money for myself. I have actually had jobs so far in customer service and I hate it. I don’t want to work a 9-5 job. I want to be able to do what I enjoy doing. I have more anexiety now than I used to so I am not able to work with customers anymore. Working at 9-5 jobs really stressed me out and I cannot do it anymore! There were customers who were also mean to me for something that was never my fault. I would cry from the stress and the jobs are always soooo repetitive! The question I have is… Who do I go to in order to get very cheap or free teaching on the things I want to do? I want to learn to animate and draw. I would also like to learn how to play an intrsument. I am not lying when I say that I have 0 talent. I WANT a talent! I really do! I would love to be able to have a job where I can stay home and work for myself. I’m trying to make it there, but first I must learn. But how can I learn if I have no one to teach me? How exactly do I find someone to teach me those things that I love for free? I’m so bad at self teaching that I can’t even look at a video of how to do those things and get how to do them. I need a person to be with me physically, helping me. I need them there to let me know if I’m doing something right or wrong.

1 Like

Thank you for feeling safe to sharing what’s going on in your life. I understand being in a place with out much money or an income and i know it’s hard. Have you thought about going to a junior college? You don’t have to take the ACT/SAT or have had good grades in high school. A lot of times JC have a lot of financial aid and free toutoring. Idk if this could apply in your case but you could always get tested to see if you have a learning disability (colleges provide disability testing) and that would add to the amount of support that you could get in having someone help you learn.
Im sorry your anxiety is hindering you from getting a job at the moment. Maybe you could try something that is a little more personal like telling people you know that you would be willing to clean houses, walk dogs, do yard work or watch kids for pay. Idk it’s just an idea.
You are not alone in this. Feel free to message me directly if you want to talk about this more.

With love,
Loveinflyleaf

1 Like

Good evening,
So as it so happens I work for a University and stumbled upon this. So you are wanting to gain some skills and start finding vision and purpose for your life?
As the person above stated- many JCs have open enrollment policies and have the ability to find different pathways to help pay for college and FAFSA is also another option and is only based on earned income and not merit-based. Also, many land grant universities have a variety of non-credit options that are essentially built to help people gain new skills. We also offer wide ranging achievement tests to see where people have skill and where they need help to give them study advice that is beneficial and for the individual.

2 Likes