How do I tell the difference?

How do you tell the difference between a real friend and a fake? I’ve had so many people act like they care and eventually they leave. They acted like they cared and I believed them. They acted like they were there, but they weren’t, I just didn’t see it. Just last week I was told that a person whom I thought was a best friend, was talking behind my back, telling people that they never cared about me, that I lie about how I feel and that I’m not really depressed and don’t really have anxiety, that they were waiting for the day to tell me that I lie about everything, to tell me that they don’t really care. I feel so powerless and lonely. This makes me wonder if anyone even cares, if anyone’s even there for me, if anyone’s actually my friend. I’m so tired of being used, lied to, and betrayed. I don’t trust anyone, not even my own family. It’s been like this for several years, I used to give my trust so easily, but now I don’t give it at all. I don’t even trust myself. I feel that I emotionally depend on music and animals because they’re there when people leave. So yet again how do you tell the difference between a real and a fake?

I wish this was something I could write at length about. Something where I could give you paragraph upon paragraph of answers, but it’s not.

People who are real friends will stick with you through thick and thin. Fake friends don’t. Unfortunately, unless you’re really perceptive, as a couple of my friends and I are, you can’t really tell. It’s unfortunate, because sometimes you put so much into a friendship only to be kicked around.
Stay strong, you are loved :slight_smile:

Hi there friend.
Real friends will be there not matter what. In your best moments and in your worst moments. Real friends will encourage and challenge you to be the best version of yourself. Real friends will say the truth to better you, even if it’s hard to hear. But they’ll love you through every moment. I’ve learned fake friends tend to have selfish motives.
I’m sorry that people betrayed you the way you did. The best i can say is that when i felt lonley and at that point where it was like “who can i trust?” I found i could trust God. He was there when no one else was. I’ve come to learn that He wants to be our best friend too. He wants to talk to us about the good and the bad and the ugly in our lives and heal us. I also found i can talk to HIm about the randomest things too. He wants to be there for you too friend.
I hope and pray that better people will come into your life.
Hold fast