I feel so stupid and disgusting

Hi.
So I have a problem.

I’ve been working in the fashion industry for a while now, but I’ve always been the one who shoots stuff, and I have no model experience whatsoever. I met a guy who wants to grow strong into the modelling world, he’s still at the beginning but he has potential. This guy asked me to shoot with him, which is completely fine for me, and since he’s huge on photography too, he asked me to model for him. However I’m scared I’m not good enough to do it.

I’ve never posed for a picture, ever. My ex used to take pictures of me while I wasn’t looking, and even if everyone else was like “oh you look great here” I just can’t see myself that great. I believe I have a stupid face, and the only pictures I can take are those where my face is completely cut off or half-covered.

I seriously don’t know what to do. I feel like I’m just stupid and disgusting in every picture I take, and I don’t know how to do this. The issue is that I have to do this because it’s required from the agency I work in, so sooner or later I’ll have to model myself anyway.

I know this is a stupid problem, but what can I do??

Hey @frapioggia,

Thank you for reaching out! “You are your own worst critic” - and this applies to everyone. Because we’re always around ourselves 24/7, we learn to pick at our tiniest “flaws” - something no one else would ever notice. Everyone is insecure to an extent, some just hide it better than others. Life begins outside of your comfort zone, so I say to go for it!! You never know where this could lead. I wish you the best!!

-Eric

1 Like

Hey! We are going to post this on our Instagram story so, you’ll receive more encouragement from that:) First I want to say that your beauty comes from what is on the inside and I KNOW you have a gorgeous soul! Also, if he wants to take pictures of you, I’m sure that he thinks you are so beautiful! Take a deep breath and tell yourself some affirmations. Look in the mirror and say OUT LOUD the things you love about the way you look. “i have pretty eyes” “I like my freckles” whatever it is for you!

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the replies! I feel a little bit more confident now. Of course, things will be better as soon as I get into it.

Big thanks for sharing my post into the stories: it really made my day!

Model for him. You say that every picture that (you take) just seems off.
Let him take your pictures and let him have a final say in what pictures you use and give them to the agency for use. That way you can always blame him if it doesn’t go the way you desire.

That would not be nice of me though.

You do know it is your choice whether you would fault him or not. Anyways I was joking about it. I’m just pointing this out. The reason your photos are never enough is because we are our own biggest critics and we see most of our own flaws that others can’t always see. (even though we think they do) This is why I suggest letting him do it. He sees something good about you that he thinks he can catch in a photo. Probably something you don’t which is why you hate all the photos you take of yourself.

Yeah, I’m definitely gonna try this out. You never know where it could take you…

Hey there,

This is certainly a really tough situation. Your feelings are really valid here, but there are things you can do to get yourself into a better spot regarding how you feel about your appearance.

2 Likes

Thanks! Really appreciate that

4 Likes

WOW! That’s the best thing of the day. Thanks a lot Taylor! You people are the best!

love you!!! so happy this encouraged you!

1 Like