I finally decided to reach out about my addiction

Hello everyone.
Yesterday night I decided to give up and tell my parents about my issue with buying things. It was taken pretty well but this is not a post about this. I will have to work very hard to get the money back, it will take a lot of time, just like the amount of time it took to realise I was completely lost in the frenzy that I couldn’t even tell what I was doing.

If you struggling, it’s ok not to be ok. However, do not your fears and insecurities drag you into the spiral of addiction. Addiction is not only drugs or alcohol: it can be a lot of other things, like buying lots and lots of stuff in my case. I was lucky, but some of you might not be in the same situation as mine and I understand. It’s hard to reach out, but you have to do it. It’s not good for yourself and you’ll end up hurting others too.

Don’t let addiction destroy your life because you’re struggling. Stay safe love you

1 Like

Really brave of you to speak out and reach help!! I know addiction of any kind can be a real struggle so good for you to have made that progress!!

1 Like

Proud of you for reaching out. I personally have an issue with buying things that are… gaming related. I don’t tell my parents anything, if they knew half the stuff you all know about me they would probably kick me out. I started working a 12 step programme for my drug addiction but there isn’t that for spending… I reached out to one of my best friends within the community that I trust and had them put passwords on my accounts so that I can’t access the store without their permission. Maybe your parents could help you in a similar way. Especially if they were ok with you telling them?
Well done for reaching out. It’s tough.

Hold Fast
Kayla

1 Like

Passwords won’t help since there will always be workarounds. It’s better to learn how not to do that anymore and get out from it.
I spent lots of money on things I don’t need, parties and stuff and I’ll be honest: I only don’t regret a few of them.
Addiction is a bitch but one must learn to control their habits. Lesson learned, but at what cost.

I’m not good quite that good at it :wink:
Honestly the only way for me to turn of the parental controls is to get into their emails, which isn’t happening, because the company don’t even deactivate them now.
See what you can work out with your parents! Now they know, they can help :slightly_smiling_face:

Kayla

1 Like

Glad that you were able to talk to them about your addiction. Shopping addiction is tough but I believe that you can get through it and I’m glad that your parents are helping you. Also as you mentioned, it’s okay not to be okay but know that people care and want to see you succeed. Stay strong you got this.

1 Like