I just opened up to my dad about my problems since he has been gone for so long

So. Hi. I just ended up having a 2 hour long opening up to my (step) dad about my problems as well as my suicidal thoughts. Turns out I’m not alone in my household, since he has been having these thoughts (I think. I could be wrong. He didn’t say this exactly. These are my thoughts) as well. We ended up both talking about what’s been going on and why we are having these thoughts. Here’s what I’ve gotten from this, and I hope this list helps you guys too.

• no matter how you are feeling, you aren’t alone.
  • you are special. There maybe people like you, but not the exact same as you.
  • someone, somewhere, cares about you deeply. The goal is to find that person.
  • At the end of the day, the things that are the most important are friends and family.
  • everyone is hurting in some way. Even if you are hurting more, someone is hurting more than you. It’s up to you to help them.
  • always contribute something. Give 100% of your effort in something, even if it’s just one thing.
  • it’s okay to feel what you feel. We live in an era where it’s accepted to be “broken” or “not okay”, and quite a few people around you are willing to talk to you, all you have to do is ask.

I hope this helps. It’s a big eye opener for me, especially since I thought my dad wasn’t going through as much as he is.

Stay strong, I’ve got your back.
MoP

6 Likes

Hey man, just found this post – wow what an epic conversation this was. Hope things have been good for you and your dad and encouraging since then…that you know you are seen, that you feel less pressure to be perfect, and that you’ve found solid progress since!

hey Nate, thanks for replying to these, even if it was so old. I have posted an update somewhat recently about what has been going on, feel free to check it out.

Thats awesome! I’m glad you opened up to him!