Losing Many Family Members To Addictions

Many people on my mom’s side of the family have died young before their time. Many of them died because of lifestyle choices, addictions and tragedies.

The only people that died in their old age have been my grandparents who lived into their late 80s and my great father that lived to 102.

I had cousins die of AIDS, lung cancer, cirrosis of the liver, alcoholism, complications of organ failure and Alzheimer’s Disease. Many of them because of drinking, smoking, drugs and lifestyle choices. That’s why my family has gotten smaller and smaller because of many people dying young and it scares me because I live a straight edge lifestyle I run from those things and I don’t associate with people like that but to have family into that is a source of shame especially direct family is even worse.

Hey @ranma1983,

I am so very sorry for your loss. That is a lot of people to lose in your family. I can’t imagine what that must have been like. I think it is great though that you have recognized that it is a patter in your family and that you are taking the initiative to take a different path for yourself. Although you still have family that is into that, know that you can only control your actions and you know the path you are on and that you want to stay on it.

Hannah Rhodes

1 Like