Missing my new friends

Recently I went to a place and spent a week with a bunch of new people who became some of my new best friends. Being with them in this camp was so far the highlight of my summer, however after leaving and returning home I miss them tremendously. It’s like I feel homesick not being there, and I’ve cried everyday (for 3 days) from missing them. I’ve managed to keep in contact with some but I know I’ll never be able to see most of them again, they live all over different parts of country. I feel so lonely since I left them, what do I do.

2 Likes

I know the feeling well. I used to go to summer camp as a kid and it was always so hard to say goodbye, not know if you would ever see them again. But the important part I learned is now that you have had that experience and that time together, nothing can take it away from you. You will always have those memories to cherish. Hold on to them and think of them fondly. God has a great plan for you and he puts people in our lives for a reason, a season or a lifetime.

1 Like

I know how you feel it sucks being away from your friends and not being able to visit them. Do the group of you have facetime or skype? Maybe even Google Hangout (I’m not super familiar with that one but I think you can video chat with multiple people at once, I think, I mean I could be wrong that’s just what I’ve heard). Even though you can’t physically be together in the same room maybe it’ll help to talk face to face over video chat until you are able to actually meet up in the future.

You’re Stronger Than You Know!

-Lacey

1 Like

Hi friend!

That is so understandable that you would feel so torn! As a previous military spouse I know all about making friends and then being moved away from them. It’s really hard, especially when you are so many miles and states apart.

But can I tell you something? The closest few friends I have, I actually hardly ever get to see! And that has never strained how close we are.

There are some girls that I met back in 2005 in a charity thread. There are 4 of us! Until just last year none of us had ever met each other in person. We have always written letters, texted and remained in contact in other ways. I was so excited when I finally got to meet one of them so many years later. I saw her, her husband and her sweet baby!

My best friend I met in 2005 as well. And between now and then we’ve only ever been able to hang out, probably less than as many fingers I have. But she is probably my most dearest friend. The distance has never altered our friendship.

Another friend I’ve been close to since 2009. I’ve not been able to meet him in person, but he has been such a huge lift to my spirit for so many years. He has always been such a huge support.

And lastly, my partner. We became close friends back in 2011 or so. We only got to see each other the once. While I visited Chicago for a week. And after that, 6 years went by before I finally got to see him again. But that never altered our friendship either. We maintained a very close friendship for a very long time! We used to text, pass emails, Game together and use a program called Voxxer to send voice texts back and forth. And that’s how it stayed till 2016. Now we are going on 2 years of being together!

My point is my friend, that these wonderful people that you met, don’t have to be a loss to you. You may not be able to see them as often as you like right now, and sometimes that’s just out of our control. But that doesn’t mean that you can’t hold them dear to you for a very long time! Thanks to the internet, social media, WhatsApp, Voxxer and all the different platforms, we have all kinds of ways to remain in contact.

Though I have to say that good old fashion letters are a really fun way to remain in contact! Get each other’s address and send letters! I have so many letters from my friends that I have kept over the years and it’s been so cool being able to look back over them.

So, chin up my sweet friend. It doesn’t have to be the end of a great friendship. It can be the beginning of a really close one! Just have to be creative. It could last a time time even if you don’t get to see each other for a long time.

Some day my friend. Some day it could happen!

• Kitty
1 Like