My mother is insane

I asked my mom to apologize to me for calling me fat and you know what she fucking said? “I don’t recall using that exact word.” And wouldn’t even fucking apologize, and then started berating and belittling everything in my entire life. :upside_down_face: I guess someone has to be the black sheep of the family, I just wish she wouldn’t be so abusive about it. People will always say “just shut her out of your life” which is MUCH easier said than done. You guys don’t know this woman. She’s the kind of person that would literally fly to your house at 2 am because you wouldn’t answer a phone call. (Maybe not so extreme, but she has, in fact, pulled shit pretty close to it before.) And we just bought a house and I gave her the address before all this shit started going down, so now I’m just left with a crazy mother that would and will literally go to the ends of the earth if it meant she could find a way to exert her power over me. Also, she doesn’t believe in therapy, she believes in forcing her problems to go away. I’ve asked her SO MANY TIMES to go because it would help her SO much, but she won’t because she so firmly believes that talking to her bishop (basically a pastor if you don’t know what that is) is the only thing she needs, because if talking to him is good enough to get her into heaven, then OBVIOUSLY talking to him is good enough to just make her problems disappear. :roll_eyes: I fucking hate my life. I just wish she would see how verbally and emotionally abusive she is.

I have a stepmom that is overbearing as well. I’m not sure if it is mental illness, religious fundamentalism or cultural indifference. Maybe it is a little bit of it all or two of those things. I do know my stepmother has well intentions for me or my family or for others at times. Yet sometimes it don’t always turns out that way.

I’m sorry for your situation. I can relate. Cheers for better times. Hope only good things for you.

Hey there friend,
I’m so sorry to hear that you’re going through this.
i appreciate and respect the patience you have! Sometimes, we have to deal with difficult people in life. It’s hard, but it’s something that ends up coming around at one point or another. I can tell that you’re trying to help here with suggesting therapy and such which is good! If you feel you’ve done what you can then it’s up to her to respond to it. It’s like that saying: “you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink.” The rest has to come from her. My suggestion would be to pray for her (if that’s something you’re into or wanna try) and as hard as it is, is to treat her with kindness. There’s something about treating and loving the most difficult people in our lives that actually has a positive effect. Be patient with her and treat her with kindness, but if she does something that’s not so good, talk to her about. Just sit her down and have a serious talk. Try not to raise your voice or argue but just tell her how shes making you feel. My best suggestion would be just to pray for her.
know i’m praying for the both of you too <3
hold fast, and don’t let anyone of anything stop you from enjoying life. There is so much beauty to be found each and every single moment of our lives. Don’t let anyone or anything hold you back. Beauty and goodness are out there.

Update: I think I finally got her to realize just how upset I am. My parents are very well off and, I’m not proud of it, but one of the ways they show me they love me is just throwing money at me. Financial problems give me TERRIBLE anxiety and my parents have more money than brains, so they don’t mind giving me a little every now and then. I had a bill I didn’t think I was going to be able to pay so I had to buck up and just ask her for a little money ($60. I even offered to pay her back). She basically told me that if she gave me money I wasn’t allowed to be mad at her anymore, so I basically was just like “fuck you and your money, I’ll find my own damn way.” AND THIS LADY LOST HER SHIT cause I’ve never done that before. Like I think she finally realized JUST how pissed I am. Let’s hope this turns out for the best. Ugh, I’m just tired of being so stressed out. :disappointed: (I did figure out a way if you guys are wondering. I have 4 jobs, I just had one of my bosses pay me a couple days early cause they love me)

1 Like