Not sure how to react or what to do

I was adopted at birth and always knew who my birth parents were, but never had any contact. I recently did a DNA test and was messaged by my biological father, and I have no idea what to do with it all. I feel for both him and myself through the situation. He wasn’t sure I was his during the time, thinks I do not think well Of him, and feels bad for not knowing me until now… I don’t hold anything against him for it all, but some of the stuff has just began to resonate with me. Maybe it’s emotions I have kept hidden for the last two decades, but it’s coming out now. I have had no contact for 22 years, and that weight is just now on me.

I’m not sure how to go about responding to the message, or at least not as this current time. I find myself not sleeping, depression increasing, drinking to cope with emotions increasing, and overall crazy emotions. I don’t know what to feel or how to feel with everything. I don’t know what to do…

Wow, that is a lot going on and thank you for sharing this with us here.
I can’t imagine what it must feel like, but what I can encourage you with is, take your time. You don’t have to rush with an answer to him or to yourself. You have a lot going on, and I bet it’s crazy hard, but I also know that you’re an incredible person and that you’ll make the right choices.

1 Like