Should I trust him

Hello, I’m scared to tell my friend my story although he really wants to try and help me. I keep on pushing people away and he is the only one who has really stayed, he said he would do anything to try and help me even if it means staying away from me for a while. I’m scared to tell him how I became who I am. I did self-harm once cause I felt like I was disappointing my family, and they caught me doing it, I can never forget the look on my mums face when she saw my arm. I started to sink into the pits of depression and anxiety and had no one to support me, that was two years and I only met this friend this year and I don’t want him to look at me differently. I know my problems are weak and I should really get over it but I don’t know what to do.
I’ve also battled with overthinking, social anxiety and never feeling good enough for people and I dont know what to do
I know that I also know none of you guys and have just put my issues on you guys, I’m sorry

2 Likes

If your friend wants to help and be there for you, he’s probably wanting you to open up. It’s okay to be vulnerable. And a real friend wont judge you or leave your side. A lot of people have negative thoughts or have harmed themselves in some way or another. Although it’s sad, a lot of people understand you and where you’re coming from. I’ve had some raw moments and i’ve lost some friends, but the ones that stayed have been with me for over a decade and I am so thankful for them.

3 Likes

I’m sorry you are going through a tough time. My words may not fix your problems, but I just wanted to let you know that HeartSupport is here for you. You are loved, my friend. You are beautiful. Keep pressing on. :relieved:

2 Likes

@maddie_j I’m glad you don’t feel too afraid to share with us. Your friend truly wants to help - have they ever done anything to prove to you that they will walk out if you start to open up? If not, go for it - do it at your own pace. If you don’t feel you can do it in person, try writing a letter. Explain how you feel, what your concerns are. I know what it’s like to lose people because they can’t handle the hard times - but I’ve also learnt from some of the members of this community that it is okay to trust the person who speaks out and says they want to help. To answer your title - yes, I think you should trust him. Having someone to support you through your struggles is something EVERYONE deserves.

Hold fast
Kayla

2 Likes

It’s very easy to look at a situation and extrapolate an entire future of possibilities from it. All I can suggest is to not jump 100% into trusting someone but let yourself be guided by his last actions. That is the only way you will ever build that trust. If you feel like need time away from him for a bit to consider whether or how you want to open up more to him then set that expectation and say you need a week or two weeks or whatever and then pick it up from there.

2 Likes

Hey @maddie_j,

You know him much better than we know him, but based on what you said in your original post, I would definitely take the risk of confiding in him. He seems like a good guy if he is the only one who has stayed with you through your struggles. The last thing you’ll want to do is to bottle your feelings up, so please at least tell someone how you feel, even if it’s just on the HeartSupport community wall. It can be scary to open up and to become completely vulnerable with someone, but as long as you wisely choose who, exactly, to be vulnerable with, it’s totally worth it. I wish you the best!

-Eric

1 Like

Thanks you to everyone who replied, your advice has helped me a lot.