Struggle Of An Autistic With Mental & Physical Disabilities

On a daily basis, convincing myself to get out of bed is a huge battle. Over the years I have put on a lot of weight, I’ve become more and more unhappy with myself, to the point of, merely looking in the mirror and seeing myself looking back at me, instantly makes me hate myself and want to die.

I am autistic. I battle with bipolar disorder, PTSD, ADHD and I struggle with severe agoraphobia. My life is heavily blanketed with anxiety. For years I have battled with depression because of it and in turn have often turned to self destructive ways for comfort. I used to frequently cut myself for relief. I’ve had to be hospitalized several times due to over dosing and wanting to quit. Not knowing how to cope, it felt like the only way out. I have felt helpless and hopeless a great deal of my life.

I have learning disabilities, so I’m slow to learning and absorbing information. I struggle to understand things, so I often have to rely on someone else to help me get through every day “normal” life things. I require someone to be there and be a second ear and a spokesperson for me often, so that I have help understanding and also so others have help understanding me when I struggle to communicate.

I am unable to work because of my many issues with my emotional, mental and physical health. So taking care of myself and surviving is very hard without aid. In my recent divorce, I lost my health insurance. Meaning I had to quit all medication cold turkey. I can no longer see my doctors and my therapists. Being off medication means I battle a lot of mood swings, irritability, anxiety, depression and sleep issues. I no longer have the medications that help keep me balanced and focused, and I no longer have access to my therapist. Who specializes in helping people like myself who struggle not only with all of these mental health issues, but also autism. I have no income. My main income is the alimony from my divorce, which is not enough to survive by. So even at a discounted cost, I cannot afford to see my therapist regularly.

When I’m on my medication, I am more stable most of the time, but still battle with suicidal thoughts. Especially when I go through my more difficult days. I’ve spent a great portion of my life being suicidal. Not a day goes by where I don’t think about how useless I am. I feel like I have nothing to offer the world, my friends, my family (that is mostly non existent) or a relationship. I feel like I am not good enough. I feel like a burden. I have nothing to contribute. I try to be aware that I am a danger to myself when things get bad, so I try to set up a safety plan for myself. I have a trusted person hold my medication so I don’t do something I won’t have the chance to regret. Things like guns are not in my home. And I have pushed myself to get rid of all “tools” that I use for cutting.

But it doesn’t take away from that inner pain that I fight with each day. Knowing that I have to rely on others, medication and aid from other resources in order to survive. I often feel like I dont deserve the few friends that I have. The loved ones that I hold near me. I am at a constant battle with myself to keep thriving and not let go of hope. I am at a constant battle to keep on living.

I spend a lot of time online for socializing, but that honestly can be very dangerous for me. Online is a very scary and toxic place sometimes and often there is a lack of understanding for someone like myself. For the same reason I struggle to make friends offline. I am weird. I am awkward. People don’t always understand Autism or sometimes make fun of it. There are a lot of negative slurs that go around. Being that I struggle with agoraphobia, getting out to make friends or being social is very hard on me. I am not good at communicating and keeping up with friendships. Going out to hang out is often hard as I am not always very up to it. It takes a lot of mental energy that I don’t always have. Which has caused me to be dubbed as a shitty friend many times in my life. Or considered neglectful.

I am often very lonely because it’s so hard for me to function outside in the world, whether to do things that most people do on a day to day basis, or to socialize.

Things that help me cope are channeling my energy through art. Helping others when I can online. Standing as a person who often can relate. I try to provide the same kind of help that this origination provides. By helping others, it helps me. But I am not as able to do this in person due to my inability to communicate well in person or make eye contact. I struggle with sensory sensitivity, so that often feeds into it. I am very easily overwhelmed.

I’m not sure where I am getting at here, other than sharing a little of what I battle with and how much I can relate to so many people here. That like many others I know the hurt and the battle. Some days I am able to face it. Some days I am not. But having places like this is a huge help when feeling so alone. It’s a reminder that we are not alone. It’s a small piece of hope and light. So thanks for creating a safe place for us to turn to.

There’s a lot more to be said, but I know this is really long. I’m not very good at this. If you read this, thanks for listening…

• Kitty

Thank you for taking the time and the energy to share this with us. It says a lot about your strength and courage.

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve had to deal with so much. It seems like going to therapy was very healthy and helpful for you, and it is really unfortunate that you can’t afford it now. Please keep in mind all the free resources that exist—the support wall here, other places online, and hotlines/lifelines. None of it beats a real face-to-face therapist, but it can help temporarily, and maybe it can help you get to a point where you can seek out work opportunities. I know there are lots of places of work that look past many mental and physical barriers. Not all do, but many do. It can be hard for, I’d say, most people to find work, so you’re not alone. I’d suggest keeping it on your radar, though, because it could help a lot with your self-image and health. Also, having more income could help you even more if it allows you to afford insurance.

Again, I’m really sorry you have to carry these burdens, but you don’t have to do it alone. You really have a community here that loves you and cares about you, and you’re not alone. Thank you for sharing and hold fast to your art and other things that give you purpose. You can do this. We believe in you.

I appreciate your response. I honestly considered deleting my post. And actually tried. Though apparently there is not an option to do so. I am not very good at writing out my feelings and thoughts and struggle to write in short. I tend to be insecure about sharing my personal struggles, so often delete after sharing out of fear.

But I appreciate you taking the time to read it and respond. So thank you.

Since I am unable to work outside of the home, I have considered maybe opening a shop. If it’s something that I could gain and benefit from. I have a loved one who has offered to help me if I’d like to go that route. So that’s nice.

Health insurance isn’t completely without hope yet, as I can try to apply for medicaid. I have doctors and therapists to help work with me on that (in the form of diagnoses and medical documentation), so I hope that I can work that out. Even if it takes some time. If I can, then I will be back in the green for having at least my therapist.

I’ve been trying to practice learning how to control or better get through my depression and suicidal thoughts. It’s not been an easy ride. But seeing a therapist and getting on medication was a huge step for me, after years of not being comfortable. That alone was a big accomplishment. It took some time to find the right counselor, but I did manage to find one.

Anyway. I appreciate places like this to reach out to and talk to in times of there not being somewhere else. Its a fight to get through, but one I am constantly thriving to get through.

Hello there! First I want to congratulate you for being so strong, I admire you honestly! And also it takes courage to open up to strangers on the web, but you did it and I’m proud of you :slight_smile:
I think that you shouldn’t worry about needing help to do things, I know you feel like a burden, which you ARE NOT, by the way; but it’s normal actually. We all depend on someone at a point in our lives, and you should see the positive side of it: you have nice people around you!!! Even though they may be a few.
Yo are a wonderful person no matter what. It doesn’t matter if you have autism or another condition. You should love yourself because you’re special just like all of us :heart: I really hope you get better. You would make me really happy if you happen to message me someday telling me that you’re feeling better! I’d love to hear about your life :slight_smile:
Please take care of yourself!

1 Like

Thank you so much Victoria. Things are definitely better than how they used to be two years ago. I know the post focused a lot on the sad things that I battle with on a daily basis, but there is a positive in all of this. I do have a wonderful partner who is supportive of me in all ways. And provides a love and understanding that I’ve never been able to share or experience prior to the last two years. He’s really been a huge helping hand in getting me to all of my appointments and communicating with my doctors. It’s been truly amazing.

So it is true, that while I do not have a lot of friends or a huge social circle, I have a wonderful partner and he has parents who are loving of me.

I get lost in my head a lot when I’m alone. I’m learning slowly to better love myself and accept myself for who and what I am. And not be so hard on myself. But it isn’t always easy. One day at a time I guess.

I have a lot of good days even if I have a lot of bad ones. I just keep trying to focus my energy on the positive things that get me out of those darker times. And try to communicate when I need help so others can be there.

It’s a process. But I’m getting better. 2 years ago it was the opposite. I was merely existing. I didn’t know how to help myself at all. So even if there’s a long ways to go…I’ve still come a long ways too. :heart:

1 Like

I love to hear that :heart:️:heart:️ you have no idea how happy i’m feeling right now. Congratulations on your healthy and lovely relationship, you deserve him and he deserves you!!
Life DOES get better! for everyone. I don’t know if you care, but I also struggled a lot two years ago! But thanks to my boyfriend I got to get better, just like you :grin:
I wish you all the happiness in this world and I know that you’ll get better. Keep strong❤️❤️ DM me if you feel like it. Love 🥰

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.