What am I supposed to do, I'm freaking out

I’ve been playing guitar for half a year now. I started with the inspiration of the bands I love, and I hope to become an able guitarist. Its my dream, one I keep secret from my family, to have a rock band one day. today a man approached me in a guitar store. As we’re both Asian, I’m not surprised. He said he had three daughters, just like me and my sisters, and they’re teenagers, around my age. He said they have a band, and they needed a guitarist. They play a bit of everything, traditional, metal, etc. He asked if I wanted to join. He gave me my number and said to send him a text and theyll keep me informed. My mom said in the car that she disliked Asians, which is contradictory, because we’re Asian. But not like our family, but others. She said they can be manipulative and gossipy and just problematic people. Im excited, because I know I should have some experience before going out into the real world to start a band, but I’m also terrified. I can’t be taken advantage of again. What if I am? What if I’m too inexperienced and they all play way better than me? What if I make a fool of myself? Then there’s the fact that my parents might not even let me try to get to know them and then maybe join. We don’t know these people. I’m just freaking out, I don’t know what to do, or how I should present this to my strict dad so he’ll give it a chance. And what if it doesn’t work out?
Please help

1 Like

@Bvblover16

Thank you for sharing. It’s amazing that you love playing guitar. I play guitar too, but for fun. If you want to join band, I encourage you to try it out, and see if you want to be in it. You’ll never know unless you try. It’s okay to ask those questions. It’s okay to be afraid. You will overcome your fears. I believe in you. You got this!

Hey there,

A fellow guitar player!! That is so awesome you play and have hopes of being in a band! I can relate to the fear of not being good enough and what if they are at a different level than you and the doubt that comes with something so new. I felt that way when I was working with a band, but I knew that it was something I really wanted and decided to at least try it out. So I would encourage you to give it a shot. As far as bringing it up to your parents and whatnot, would it make you and them feel better if they went with you to meet them at least? Then you can go from there?

Hold Fast,
Hannah Rhodes