1,000 Words: Day 6

Yesterday while watching American Idol, a contestant named Ace performed. His style of music wasn’t to my taste but he was young and braver than I would have been. Especially since he is Trans. The judges didn’t “put him through” and a lot of people on Social Media weren’t happy about it. During his closing interview, he said something that struck me hard,

“I guess I wasn’t good enough? I thought I was.”

The fact that he was 15 and was still going through a lot of the emotions that come from transitioning was a braver thing than most can admit. However, his voice-that is his emotional voice- didn’t come on strongly. For me, he needed a bit more growing to do.

I felt sad for Ace. But I learned something from him too. I learned that when you put your heart into something and it doesn’t come to fruition it doesn’t mean you should give up. “When you pour your whole hear singing a song you believe in, and tomorrow they’ll forget you ever sang. Sing it anyway.”

Today’s 1,000 words reminded me to not give in to self-doubt. Not to let the wilderness of life overtake me and to listen to where God is taking me, not the devils in m head.

4 Likes

hufflepuffbruhv
Just a couple of thoughts; We look to others to find or see our own value, and often let them decide for us how ‘good’ we are, (which is a lot of power to give away.)
Being able to accept ourselves as enough, or good enough, will always be a struggle if we depend on someone else to affirm who we are to ourselves.
I like your advise… .“Sing it anyway”… do it for you, believe in you. At least that’s what it means to me. Thanks for sharing.

Gnuone,

That’s why I love that song so much. I think recently, I’ve forgotten to take my own advice. It was based off a poem by Kent Keith called “The Paradoxical Commandments” it was a favorite poem of Mother St. Teresa of Kolkata. Martina McBride and the Warren Brothers was inspired by both.

“The Paradoxical Commandments” - Kent Keith

People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered.
Love them anyway.
If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.
Do good anyway.
If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies.
Succeed anyway.
The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.
Do good anyway.
Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
Be honest and frank anyway.
The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds.
Think big anyway.
People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs.
Fight for a few underdogs anyway.
What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.
People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.
Give the world the best you have and you’ll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.