1,000 Words Project

Though this doesn’t fall under any category, I thought I could give people an opportunity to join in the 1,000 Words a Day Project. If you’re not a journal writer or if you thinking of starting to keep one I hope I can give you a few pointers.

1. It’s not about the destination…
    Yes, you are called to write 1,000 words a day. But don’t fret if you fall short of the limit. It’s about what you are willing to express to yourself. Whether it’s 999 or 1,000. You’ve still accomplished something and should be celebrated too.

2. Pick a Time of Day: Use your time wisely. Write when you first wake up, or before you go to bed. Pick a time where you can center yourself, away from the noise. Turn off the TV, the phone, and anything else that distracts you. It helps to keep you focused on the message your brain and fingers are leading you.

3. Prompt Yourself: Choose a song, a work of Literature, a line or story from Scripture to prompt you when you can’t think of anything to write about. This is about self-reflection, but sometimes self-reflection needs a little push.

4. It’s The Size That Counts: 1,000 words typed is about a page and a half. Written in a journal it could be anywhere between 3 to 4 pages depending on how big your lettering is. Also, don’t get hung up on grammar and spelling. Since this project is only meant for you and no one else to read don’t worry if your participles and danglings or if you use the wrong form of there, they’re, their.

Finally, pick an endpoint. For me, Lent was the perfect period of time to start this project. When Easter Sunday comes, I will finish, not read anything I wrote and delete everything. Why? Because what I have written is already out in the universe. Hopefully, it will bring about a change in me and in you. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

2 Likes

That’s super interesting! Thanks for sharing those tips and advices. Hope your project is doing well so far!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.