A desire to change

Hello again, it’s been awhile since I’ve been on here, I’m once again wanting to try and work out and get healthy and change myself. The main problem I face is finding how to stay motivated, I usually last for a week or two and end up giving up. Hopefully I can push past my limits and actually make a change.

9 Likes

Hey @lonelyfreak

Motivation can be very hard to keep up. I’m glad to you see you posting here for support!

Have you tried getting someone to help keep you accountable? A close friend or family member? Maybe someone to go on this journey with you? I found going to the gym a real challenge until someone expressed interest in going with me. After a couple of months of going together, I found myself going on my own because I enjoyed it.

It always seems harder to form a healthy habit than it is to break one, but I believe in you! I know you have the strength to make that change!

Or if you are interested, over on Discord we have multiple action groups which are groups of people ready to make a healthy change and ready to do the work. These action groups help challenge each other to make goals for themselves and help keep each other accountable for those goals and overall help each other grow. If you are interested, check out this link: Join an Action Group or a Support Wall Action Team!
Or feel free to ask me, I lead one of the action groups :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well unfortunately I don’t have any friends I can interact with in person and I don’t really have any family that would do that.

I’m sorry to hear that. Feeling more lonely doesn’t help the situation either.

Consider giving an action group a try. It’s a discord chat room, and we encourage and help each other grow. It sounds like it would help you out quite a bit!

Maybe idk I just don’t use discord all that much.

hi, i know you say you’re not on discord a lot, but definitely an action group sounds like a great way for you to have more accountability for your specific need. until then, you can probably start a journal or progress thread here on the wall and do a daily post to help us help motivate you and celebrate your progress!

2 Likes

Hello there,

Motivation can be tricky, but one thing that helps me is to remember that it is not a ‘one size fits all’ in health & nutrition. When I started working on becoming a better & healthier me, I switched out water for meals & now I am always carrying around a water bottle, drinking it, and refilling it as soon as possible. When I come home after work, I am so tempted to be lazy & chill…but I always make myself go for a walk & get some vitamin C. It doesn’t have to be difficult & big chunks…break it down so it is easier to manage.

I believe in you. You can do this. You are strong. You are valid. You are important. You matter. :yellow_heart:

1 Like

Hi there,

It often can really be a challenge to find motivation, but I’m glad to see that you are looking to become healthier! That’s awesome to hear and I know that it really can be a struggle to get there.

I have two general tips for trying to figure this out:

1. Figure out why you want to do that and keep it in mind. This may sound obvious or silly, but figure out why this is worth it to you – try to find tangible benefits in your mind so that you remember the value in working out.
  2. For me, task tracking software has been helpful for keeping up with similar routines. I personally like Todoist (when less detailed) and Notion (when more detailed) for tracking if I’ve done a recurring task such as exercising. A physical calendar is also a great tool because you have a visible “mark of shame” (the missing checkmark) on the calendar when you don’t complete your exercise from that day.

As mentioned by SinningSaint77, an action group could also be a great way to keep you accountable.

I’m wishing you the best of luck in all your exercise endeavors and believe in your abilities to find the motivation to work on this! You got this!

<3 Tuna

2 Likes

hey friend,

so happy to read this update and hear from you again, my friend! also super excited for you in your goals to work out more and learn new healthy habits. this change will be beneficial to both your mental and physical health so i wish you all the luck in the world! motivation is always the main enemy for changing into a healthy lifestyle.

finding your motivation lies within yourself. i can give you an example on how i found my own motivation to start a new diet and walking more if that helps? my motivation rests upon 2 things: 1) a blood test came back with not solid results where the only answer was changing my diet 2) wanting to change my look a bit by losing a few pounds before some vacations. and that’s what got me moving, eating differently, and energized to run that extra mile. having cool playlists w/ your fav energetic songs and trying new (healthy) snacks is also a good way to keep this new lifestyle fun. accountability partners is also a huge help (like a neighbor that could join you on a morning run or a friend to diet with you and track y’all’s progress).

i hope some of the thoughts above could help jog your thinking on how you can find your own motivation and make an individual change! i believe in you fully to make this change you want to see in yourself. you GOT this!

love,
twix

1 Like

Hello again, friend! I’m sorry you are still struggling to find the motivation to exercise and improve your health, but I’m so proud of you for continuing to try. Have you gotten yourself a FitBit or pedometer like I suggested? It can be really helpful. Or any phone apps that help with exercise.

I know SinningSaint suggested an Action Group and I mentioned them before. I think it truly could be beneficial for you since you say you do not have and family or friends you can rely on to help with accountability. I know you say you don’t use Discord much but it is really only once a week.

Even just walking around a store and exploring can help you move. Small things can make a huge difference. Getting healthier is a long term thing and it takes small steps over a long period of time.

I believe in you! You’ve got this! :hrtlegolove:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.