A giver, but still alone and not worth it

Hi there,
First of all I want to say thank you for all this!! It already feels better to know that there are so many out there.
I don’t know if it’s the right term and I also don’t like to call me a giver, but I guess that’s what I am. I really enjoy giving all my heart, my emotions, my help and all that to the people around me. Especially my daughter and wife but also to close people around me. And I know that you shouldn’t expect as much in return. But I feel constantly kind of lost, alone. I always have the feeling that if I stop giving than nobody except my family would really care about me. I know, what do I complain about. Still it is so exhausting to stay on track. I sometimes just want to let it go, but it immediately feels like drowning. This world with all its emotionally cold and self centered people sucks. Can anybody relate? What an I do? Why does it feel that I am alone most of the time?
Thank you for your time and help!! It means a lot. All the best to everybody and greets from Germany.

I can relate greatly man, thank you for sharing on here. You aren’t alone. Every day I give everything I’ve got and feel like I get nothing in return. I think it says a lot about you and that you are a good man. Just know there are people who do care about you outside of your family and maybe they just aren’t the best at showing it. You strike me as a man who doesn’t give up on loving and caring for others. For me having a father who threw me away makes you a saint in my eyes. If there are people who don’t give it in return intentionally, forget them. You have a family who loves and cares about you. And to me, you are a good father and husband, so it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks. Hope I could help!

Thank you so much for your answer and your kind words. I try to keep them in mind all the time. However, it feels like if I am giving up on people who don’t care or who can’t show it then I find myself pretty much alone with everything. I don’t really have somebody to talk to outside my wife. Am I expecting too much? My wife sometimes says that I can’t expect too much from people. But for me it’s just simple things. Writing messages, calling, going out for a beer. Stuff like that. People only consume. It sucks all my energy out.

1 Like

At the end of the day man, the only people that are really worth the energy you’re giving out, are those closest to you. In this time of confusion and feeling like you don’t get the same return, I encourage you to invest that energy in your wife and daughter. I promise you won’t come back empty handed. Hang in there brother.

Thanks man. It means and helps a lot!!!