A question about the question "what do you want to eat"

I’m always asked by family what I want for dinner or if I have any preference but honestly I never do and never have I have foods i like but not many I dislike I never CRAVE anything or want anything specific I’ve always been this way and I don’t know why are there people like me who don’t really care what they eat I don’t have any food related trauma I don’t think I can pick out groceries just fine but WANTING something special or specific isent something I’ve ever had in my mind as long as I can chew it and tastes good I don’t really care
Am I the only one like this ?

3 Likes

I don’t think you’re the only one…Maybe you’re just grateful for the food you have…but food choices can also be an adventure.

For years my son didn’t state preferences one way or the other. I think he didn’t want to create any conflict with his strong willed sister when I asked for his preferences. He would say what he wanted for his birthday…Now he’s on his own and, I think, enjoying his own freedom of choice. He rarely has the same thing when we go out to eat. He almost always tries something new. He’s teaching himself how to cook, tries lots of different spices. He’s found be likes tea and has a number of different kinds.

Food is used for more than just nourishment. It’s at celebrations and funerals. It can be used as comfort. It can be attached to self-perception. It can be a way to show care for another. I’m sure there are other ways it’s used.

Maybe you’re in for a new adventure or maybe your fine with how you are with food…reassure your mama if she’s the one asking…she probably just wants to please you.

2 Likes

When I was growing up I wished there was a pill you could take instead of having to eat a meal. I just didn’t enjoy food and didn’t like a lot of things. Boy did that change as I got older!! I started eating for emotional comfort and got hooked on sugar. I have trouble eating enough vegetables and fruits now but gimme donuts or other baked goods….

So I think you’re not alone insofar as being indifferent to what you eat. Nothing pathological or reason for concern. You may change as the years go by or not. Just try to deal with your emotions directly rather than grab cookies!!

Blessings!

3 Likes

The real reason moms or the person that usually does the cooking asks what the other people would like to eat is because it’s really hard to decide every single day what to make. I’ve been cooking for 45ish years and I ask my partner almost every night what he would like. I’m over it haha.

There are lots of people who think about food the same way you do. There isn’t anything wrong with it, but as @CatherineAnne mentioned, food is used for more than just nourishment.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s kinda a thing I’m hyper aware of is that I eat unhealthy cuz the foods I do “want” are empty and just release dopamine I’ve cut out alot of it and just left fizzy drinks mostly diet ginger ale and seltzer waters

1 Like

We all have a unique relationship with food and there are plenty of people who, just like you, don’t give any special importance to food in their life. It’s something that nourish them, something that can be pleasant, but it’s not something they need to think about or anticipate. For others food can hold a very special place and be something important to think of, to prepare, etc. There’s no wrong way to approach that really, as long as you are satisfied with your relation with food. You’re not hurting anyone and not having any particular interest in food doesn’t mean you would have a problem with it, thankfully! :hrtlegolove: