A really sensitive topic for me i was with a very

This is a topic from YOUTUBE. Reply as normal, and we will post it to the user on YouTube.

Belongs to: Therapist Reacts to Search By NF
A really sensitive topic for me. I was with a very abusive partner for 5 years. I gave up so much of my savings, my life, my hobbies, my friends, and fought with my family for her. Broke it up with her because she gave me a harsh ultimatum to give up everything I had left after all that. Best decision I ever made, but it’s been almost a year and I’m still not fully healed mentally.

1 Like

Hi friend,

I’m proud of you for getting out of a situation that was not healthy for you. It takes much strength to accept the fact that a relationship may be toxic, and even more so to do something about it. I truly admire you for that. With this in mind, 5 years is quite some time, and it is completely natural that the healing process is not done and over with a year later, especially when you invested so much into that relationship. What matters is that you’re out of there and that you are making progress, one step at a time. I find that it can be easy to just focus on the present moment and think about how things could be better and the ways we could improve, to a point where we sometimes forget where we started and how much we’ve done already! Just remember to be gentle with yourself, you are doing what you can, and the rest will fall into place eventually. I wish you all the best and would be happy to listen if ever you’d like to share more <3

1 Like

Oh friend, you did something very strong the day you took the step of leaving her. It sounds like this was a very damaging relationship that was taking so much of you. It’s awful how we can be used to think that abuse happens to others… but when it hits us it feels like such a raw slap on the face. It’s hard to face that reality, to accept that all the love we poured into someone was actually used against us in return. It certainly took a lot of energy and courage to come to the point of realizing what was happening, accepting it, then standing up for yourself. I’m personally so very proud of you for moving away from her and prioritizing your well being. I can only imagine the amount of heartbreak and grief, as well as mixed emotions, that this decision must have unleashed afterwards. It’s hard when you know rationally that you make the right choice, but also being aware that the way you feel contradicts this decision. There is this part of you that somehow may long for what could have been possible with this person, a part that is still grieving the losses you had to face and the grief you had to carry with you. This was an important change in your life, and it’s absolutely understandable that you still feel the effects of it. Somehow, there is no timeline when it comes to healing from that type of wound. We can only try our best to be patient with ourselves, to give ourselves grace, to never lost sight of the fact that it was the right decision either. Rest assured that it’s okay to feel like you’re not fully healed, and feeling that way does not indicate anything wrong about you. Time is a major asset after being wounded in such a major way. You will get there, friend, without a doubt. One step at a time, still. :heart: