A Week In Living Hell

Starting Sunday, July 12th, I will be with my religiously homophobic mother and grandmother, who is the same way, for an entire week. I’m excited to spend time with them and all that, but it’s the longest amount of time I’ve ever been around them since I came out. It scares me and makes me anxious because, well, the repercussions I got were harsh. I got told I’m no longer welcome into the Kingdom of God unless I repent and go back to being straight. My grandmother told me that since I’m her granddaughter I’m not allowed to be gay. I got told, by my mother, that I’m going to Hell and that I’ve stepped out of the Kingdom. Her and her mother pray for me to get my life back on track. My mother seems to think that I’ve been brainwashed and that’s why I view things the way I do and that’s the reason I’m the way I am. I tried explaining to her that it’s not a choice, but I got told that it is and that it’s not who I am.

On top of all this I’m getting my hair cut on Tuesday, the 14th. I’m getting an undercut, if you need to google it do so, because I’ve wanted one for a while now. She’s already expressed that she doesn’t want any of my hair shaved/buzzed at all. Since she’s not paying for it I’m getting what I want. That also scares me because of the reaction she had when I came out.

If you are religious and do pray could you just pray for me throughout the week? That would be very much appreciated. I could use it to keep my sanity. Thanks in advance

2 Likes

Hi SarahTheProud!

I want to begin by letting you know that you are very brave! I am encouraged by your strength to be true to yourself and despite what your family is saying, you are still doing you! My mom is extremely religious, like so much so that its difficult to have a conversation with her because everything has to be God related. I feel where you are coming from and I’m here for rooting for you! I will pray for your week to go well! Thank you for sharing this!

• Lisa
3 Likes

@FaeTheProud I will pray for you right now! I am praying for your relationships with your mom and grandmother, for your strength and sanity, and for you to feel loved for who you are :yellow_heart:
I admire you for coming out. I can’t imagine how hard that must be to hear those things from family but you are expressing yourself and that is beautiful. I’m sure you will rock that undercut!! :metal:
And in case you need a reminder while you’re there this week, you’re awesome.

1 Like

Hey @FaeTheProud, thinking of you. I hope this week with your mom and your grandma is going as smooth as possible. I hope they’re respectful with you. I wish you didn’t have to experience this anxiety before seeing them. I mean, your feelings are absolutely valid. But I wish the situation was different to you. It’s so hard to face this kind of rejection coming from our own family. The beliefs of your family are theirs - and should I say, also their own interpretation of it. It guess it wasn’t easy to come out in this environment. It was very brave of you. Their words definitely not convey unconditional love and acceptance, unfortunately. Even though it doesn’t delete the possibility of love, you don’t deserve to be asked to be someone you are not. You are you. You are awesome as you are.

In any case, I hope you’re hanging in there. Just a friendly reminder that you are loved. All the love and encouragement to you. Rooting for you. :heart:

I am praying that some spirit will come and show your Mother and Grandmother that gay people don’t go to hell. God even welcomes people who don’t belive in him, so it isn’t true that youv’e ‘‘Stepped out of the Kingdom.’’’ Also I agree with what everyone else said to you in this discussion and want to reinforce it. You are loved!