About my appointment in less then a week

On the 4th of october i’m finally getting my second counselling appointment. which i’m really hoping to talk to the counselling about my eating disorder bc i now want to get help for it so i’m hoping they can help me with it

7 Likes

I think being able to talk about it helps, even if specific answers don’t appear immediately. I expect you’ll be asked about things that don’t seem related to the issue, but it has to do with the D/O usually being a manifestation or symptom of other problems/stressors.

I was a yo yo dieter, gaining and losing hundreds of pounds over time. I was an emotional eater and an extremist when it came to dieting. I thought the weight issue was just a problem in my life that was the cause of a lot of other problems. It’s true, the diet issue did cause other problems, but other problems caused the diet issue, and no doubt were the initial cause of the eating D/O. 15 years ago, I arrived at my chosen weight, and it hasn’t changed since.

I’m not talking about problems, as though they’re issues with who you are, it’s more about circumstances and stressors in your life, gaining insights and developing approaches that help you gain freedom from habits you wish to change. You already are a wonderful person, and you’re choosing a path that will help you really understand and accept that. You will find that empowering. You’ll also get to know yourself from a very positive perspective.

2 Likes

Hi Horselover,
this sounds very good and i am happy you are doing it. They really can help you.
i can’t relate to eating disorder, but years ago i did nutritional advise. dieting did not solve weight
problems because you go back in your daily routine afterwards, but if you “adjust” your eating it helps
you for life. I lost over 35 kg ( ca. 77 lbs ) and are now happy now with my weight.
In your case i think you will understand how everything will come together und will overcome things.
To talk about your problems will help you. Thank you for doing it.
Have a nice day my friend and feel hugged,
Greetings

2 Likes

Well done for having this appointment scheduled, @Horselover200246. This is such a huge step. It’s completely understandable to have expectations or even fears at this point. Clarity will come as you will meet this therapist and get to know them progressively. If it can help, you can take note of what you would like to bring to them for this first meeting. It’s completely fine to take your notes with you too! I’ve been experiencing myself a relapse in eating disorders lately, with patterns of thoughts and restrictive types of behaviors that I thought I was free off. I’m going to bring to my therapist as well. It’s stressful to anticipate potential judgment, overall just the fear of being vulnerable regarding something that is way too often misunderstood. But therapy is a safe place, and definitely a good one to bring these things up. I’m rooting for you and hope your therapist will hear you just as you need.

Proud of you for taking this step and looking forward to hearing more updates from you! :hrtlegolove:

3 Likes

i’m just hoping it goes ok with the counselling bc this is my first appointment with this one which idk her or him very well, but mainly hoping i can talk to them alone without my mom being in the room since my mom half of the time thinks i’m doing it for attention

3 Likes

That is completely understandable. You will be okay, friend. You know that it is a process in itself to get to know someone new like this, and you will need several appointments to get a clearer idea of how it goes with this new therapist. I hope your mom won’t interfere or make you uncomfortable, but if that happens then it would still be possible to strategize some ways to have more privacy during your appointments. But, one step at a time.

I’m rooting for you. :hrtlegolove:

3 Likes

take it step by step.
see how the appointment goes and how much you talk about everything.
For myself, in my therapy the most important factor was, the chemistry between me and the
therapist. i realised early that i opened up a lot, and after some sessions i talked about everything.
This is hard but afterwards you will see, how good you will feel after.
You will do good and you do good so far. we are here for you.
Greetings

3 Likes

Yeah i’m hoping they will but i’m pretty sure they will give me privacy to talk to my councillor alone an not with my mom, but i’ll find out tomorrow which i also hope they don’t mind if i’m dyed blue bc i dyed my hair last night

1 Like

ya going to find out tomorrow more stuff bc my appointment is tomorrow

1 Like

Thinking of you @Horselover200246. I hope your appointment went well and that you are doing okay. You’re loved.

1 Like

the appointment went ok i guess could of been better have another appointment on the 18th

3 Likes

That is really good to know! Keep it up, friend. The steps you’re taking are major, and I hope that you’ll feel more and more comfortable with this new therapist. One step at a time. :hrtlegolove:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.