Afraid of losing friends

i met a group of people that are really nice and think i’m really funny. my wife is in the group too, she joined after me. but now i’m stressed out that i’m either unwanted (no one has said anything to suggest it) or that i’ll do something that will make everyone hate me. i’m really scared. and what if i’m addicted to the attention? somehow i feel extra lonely now when no one talks to me online. it was fine before i had a new group of friends, and somehow i go through this all the time with new friends until i mellow out.

i also ate so much unhealthy food last week, and i’m supposed to be keeping up with being healthy because i’m prediabetic and obese. today i managed to eat healthy things from home, but i still feel like a big failure. luckily, i’m talking to the doctors later this month about the condition, and they’ve been really supportive thus far.

and my ptsd has been giving me nightmares about my folks or people i used to love hurting me physically. i have never been physically abused, only psychologically and financially, but i’m still getting these dreams that all add up to anxiety dreams. one time last week i had a nap and had another nightmare, and the nightmare world felt realer when i woke up, like i woke up to a dream world.

i don’t know what’s going on with me. i’m so afraid. i’m not consistently funny and i’m not responsible enough with myself and i’m so tired all the time even with all this medicinal help. i feel so small and like i’m going to be crushed for some reason but i just don’t know the reason. the intrusive thoughts have been awful lately, even with me trying to focus on the present.

i’m not sure what kind of support i need, i guess i’m just afraid i’ll keep messing up and everyone will notice and nobody really cares about me, they’re just being nice because nice people exist

5 Likes

It sounds like you’re afraid to feel secure because there’s a chance the feelings of others toward you may change. The fear is heightened because of the PTSD. Humans need and thrive on attention. It’s not an issue of addiction, or maybe it is, in the same way as being addicted to oxygen. That doesn’t mean you can’t survive without others for a while, but the craving for attention is understandable. Not everyone can have physically present friends. It’s just a sad fact. If you have a few, you’re fortunate.

There’s a lot to be said for having faith in your friendships, even when those people are absent for one reason or another. Your friends want you to have faith in them. Friends may come and go, but the investment of faith is still worth it, as it strengthens the friendships that remain, and honors those friends.

Trust yourself to be a faithful friend, because I believe you are. Your friendship is a solid and reliable asset to others. Somehow, your PTSD thoughts have led you away from this absolute truth. While worrying about losing friends, you’ve forgotten to be your own friend. There’s no doubt that being your own friend makes you a better friend to others. It helps with empathy and anticipating the needs of others. You mentioned not being responsible enough with yourself. I suspect that relates to not having nurtured a compassionate relationship with yourself. You definitely owe yourself kindness.

Intrusive thoughts suck, but they’re just thoughts, which will pass, just as clouds do. You can think of nightmares the same way.

Are you working with a medical doctor only? If so, ask for a referral to a therapist or psychiatrist who can help you with the PTSD.

Modify your diet in very small increments, for example a spoonful or so every week. Your body will adjust without overwhelming cravings. Exercise triggers the release of “feel good” hormones in the brain. It will also lower your blood sugar. You might be surprised to find out that exercise leads to having more energy. If emotions trigger eating more than you should, find another activity that redirects those emotions.

15 years ago, my HgbA1C had me in the diabetic range. My blood pressure was too high. I was 100lbs overweight. I could walk about a block before being out of breath. I was a yo yo dieter most of my life, always losing and regaining a ton of weight. I’d stop eating, or eat ridiculously small amounts, then I’d fall back into the old eating patterns that led to weight gain. From my earliest memory, I was an emotional eater. It was my go to method to take my mind off my terrible circumstances.

Anyway, 15 years ago, I started making very small changes in my diet and exercise, like adding an extra 100 feet or so to my walking routine, and reducing my portions a little at a time. It’s interesting that after a while, smaller amounts of food was more satisfying than the larger portions I ate in the past. I think it has to do with not stretching the stomach so much. I think the angry kind of hunger most often occurs as the stomach is emptying a large amount of food. In other words, once it’s stuffed, it wants to continue feeling that way, and will complain a lot if you let it shrink.

I went to extremes with exercise for a while, just to see if I could. I was up to a ten mile run, but backed off the running because I want my knees to last. I’ve had arthritis since childhood, and I put up with a lot of pain, but it gradually improved.

I also came to realize I needed to ignore the prescribed amount of calories I should take in. I found that my body is perfectly happy with less than 1500 calories daily. According to the recommended intake, I should’ve lost enough weight to have disappeared entirely by now. I am on the slender side, but I also found that it wasn’t comfortable trying to maintain weight in the “medium” range. When I tried that, I still kept on gaining and losing, although it wasn’t as extreme as it used to be.

Researchers have extended the life of lab mice by 50% by having them on a reduced calorie diet. Hence, maybe I’ll live longer from having reduced calories for the past 15 years.

My weight has remained ± 5lbs all these years. My size 32 pants remain a bit loose. My HgbA1C has been well within the normal range for all this time. My blood pressure has been great.

I’m not suggesting you should approach your diet exactly as I have. However, the point of relating my history is just to let you know that it’s possible for you to reinvent yourself if you wish.

It’s also perfectly okay to love yourself as you are. In fact that self-love is what empowers you to make changes or appreciate yourself just as you are.

Thank you for sharing your feelings here. It takes courage to do that.

2 Likes

If I am recalling correctly, express, you had spoken about not having the most supportive family, right? Do you think at all that them pushing you away has played into how you feel around others? This sense of being unsure if they will accept you?
I think it’s perfectly normal to want attention, everyone does whether they realise it exactly or not. It’s human nature. We desire connection and we desire to feel like we belong. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with it!

It’s funny, I’ve had nightmares like that myself about people who haven’t physically hurt me, but who I’ve often known or thought dislike me or have hurt me other ways. My theory is that our minds are really stuck on the idea they dislike or hate us so much that they could be capable of that, or that our minds can’t differentiate between physical and emotional pain so it displays it as the same thing.
It’s probably a good thing to either talk this out with someone who is more professional and to try not to let it consume you. You aren’t valued by how people have disrespected you. As hard as it is to believe that, I promise you that you are so much more than the hurt people have forced upon you.

You definitely seem to be placing a lot of pressure on yourself. I’m glad you’re talking to your dr about your health, perhaps mentioning the high anxiety and stress could also be helpful. You haven’t failed anything, if you made one healthy meal at home this week, then that’s one more step in the right direction. And we are here to cheer you on for that!

2 Likes

Hi Friend, Thank you for posting and trusting us. It sounds like you’ve had a pretty rough life and I can relate to much of it. My last post here was about the fear of people not liking me here, so yeah I get you 100% on that. One thing that helps with that is looking at the proof. Ask yourself what facts validate your fears and what facts make your fears invalid. It really works if you just take a moment, breathe and think about it. Mix some logic into your anxiety and you might feel different.

It sounds like you’re in therapy, but are you in talk therapy? That is really good for PTSD and working thru a lot of other issues you might have. If you are, that’s great and I hope that with some time you’ll be able to work out some things and get some healthy coping skills to help you. ~Mystrose

1 Like

That’s so great that you met a group of people you and your wife can interact with! It’s so awesome whenever we can find friends to mesh with and fit in with.
I can totally relate to the feelings of being unwanted or the fear of doing something that will make everyone hate me. I would definitely explore with a therapist or psych about where these feelings are coming from, once you attack it at the root then you’ll notice they will slowly go away.
Another thing I love to always bring up is finding the cold hard evidence that people don’t like you. What is the evidence that supports the thought “I’m unwanted in this group”? For example, if they are intentionally ignoring you, leaving you out of events, straight out saying “I don’t like you” etc. then I would say that’s evidence that supports the thought “I’m unwanted.” But anything opposite of that supports the thought “I AM wanted”. Finding the evidence (and even maybe writing it down and making a list to look back on) is such a huge help in diminishing those negative thoughts. Hopefully that made sense.
It sounds like this group of friends will like you for you. Don’t feel the pressure to be consistently funny, they just want your true self! I think they will accept you and love you for who you really are, not just because you are funny. Being yourself is the best thing you can do.
Hang in there, I know the thoughts are hard to overcome, especially when they spiral around and around to the point of having actual dreams about them. You are perfect the way you are, we see it here and I know your friends see it too.

1 Like

Hi Friend and Thank you so much for posting. You have so much going on that you want to put in place in your head and from reading this and your last post I can certainly see why that would be. Firstly I want to say to you that I am so sorry that you have been through so much in your life, you didnt and dont deserve that and I hope that with help these thoughts, dreams and fears can one day not be things that take such a bit part in your life. The fear of not being wanted or not being liked I think is more common than you think and I personally do not think it has anything to do with you needing or being addicted to attention, I think its you just wanting people to care for you and for you to trust that they will continue just as you are, without you having to prove yourself. Friendship shouldnt have to be hard work. Many people have a self esteem issue of some sort and it normally carries over into a relationship or two, with some its more obvious to tell and others you may never know. Please dont feel bad about that. However working on your self esteem would be great for you as it would lead to a happier life. There is so much more to unpack here for you, you mention that you are in therapy. I hope it is going well and they are helping you. Keep posting as much as you need to, we are here for you as often as you need to talk. Much Love Lisalovesfeathers. x

Hi empress,

I think, at least from my own experiences, that those of us who have had trauma in our childhood often feel unsafe in social interactions. We try to appease by being amusing, which I think feels similiar to trying to appease an abusive parent, and then feel terrified that we’ll stop being funny and lose control (lose friends in this situation). Those feelings and embedded coping mechanisms are hard to manage and can be difficult to see for what they are; our brains think that we’re in danger and try to do the only thing it knows how to keep us safe.

I know you said you were in therapy, but do you have therapy specificially related to your ptsd? There are some exercises designed for people with ptsd to help you to process traumatic memories (like eye movement desensitisation reprocessing therapy, which helped me a lot). It sounds to me like you need to process a lot of what happened to you, which is why you’re having these dreams and feeling so unsafe.

The last thing I want to say is that there are people who care about you, genuinely, and not just because they’re nice. Keep safe friend x

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.