AILD Fan #34

It’s just hard being a father, living with the demons. As a victim of domestic violence, from my father I have trouble bonding and letting others in.

My dad wasn’t around when I was a kid. It took me a long time to believe I could make a real connection. Be honest, ask for help when you need it, and most of all remember you have a chance to build a brand new relationship with your child everyday

1 Like

Hey friend,

You’re doing great. And acknowledging that shows how much you want to do the right thing. It’s a wonderful quality. Your past doesn’t define you as a father. You’ll learn to build a unique relationship with your child, step by step. Do it at your own pace, that’s okay. You’ll get there.

And you know… being a parent is a challenge for everyone, even without having experienced domestic violence. So if you feel these inner demons are too invading for you, I’d like to encourage you to talk about it to relatives you trust or maybe a therapist. To share about it can help you to get rid of it and have a clearer vision about your situation.

You’re wonderful as you are.
Hold fast. :heart: