Anxiety and Feeling Unwanted

A new school year starts for me this Thursday and I’m feeling extremely overwhelmed. I have so much anxiety and I just can’t stop thinking about it which like I feel is making it worse. Especially because my counselor won’t fix my schedule so I’ll have to switch a class after school already began.

Not to mention I only know one person in my lunch hour. And he was going to sit with just me. But now all his friends from last year got Zeit schedule changed and they all have my lunch hour. So he said he’s gonna sit with them and said he feels bad bringing me to the table because it was originally just supposed to be them (but it was actually supposed to be me and him) and I guess he asked if I’m allowed to sit there and they said it’s okay but like the way everything happened I just feel so unwanted there especially because I don’t know any of them and like I feel like they just wouldn’t like me and all :frowning: so I’m scared I’m just gonna be alone like always.

I feel like I wrote this too long but

1 Like

I’m sorry about the mix ups with your friend. I know what it’s like to be thrown in the deep end with loads of people you don’t know. When I started college I only knew one person and she forced me to interact with all her friends. Please try and let your friend know you’re anxious but willing to give it a go… If it wasn’t okay with them they wouldn’t have said it was. You don’t need to be the one to make first conversation. Just try and get involved here and there and then reply when you’re spoken too directly. Take it in small steps - lean on your friend. It’s okay to be anxious.

Hold fast
Kayla

2 Likes

Hey @yellow,

Starting a new school year can be exciting and scary at the same time. What you’re feeling is completely normal, albeit, really uncomfortable. Your friend sitting with other people is actually the best way for you to make new friends - use him to slip into the group, and to meet new people through him. I do this all the time when I’m at events and I only know a handful of people. :slight_smile: I hope this helps a little!!

-Eric

1 Like