Anxiety sucks

I had an appointment for my hearing aids today but had to go alone, because of corona and the rules in my country. It was really hard for me. I teared up and almost had a panic attack. They took my hearing aids, since i needed some new parts for them and obviously i could barely hear anything after that. It kind of calmed me down but also stressed me. Especially when they filled my ears with some paste to get a form for the models of the inner parts of my hearing aids. I could not hear anything at all due to that. I adapted to reading lips but due to the masks, i couldn’t. So I was left with nothing to help me understand when people talked to me. Usually my mom is there to answer for me then, but it wasn’t the case this time. I hated every single second of it.

Apologies if some parts are not quite understandable, i don’t know how to explain the whole hearing aid stuff in english lmao

5 Likes

hey friend!

i’m sorry for repeating the title but your way of putting it is so spot-on: anxiety sucks. it really does. and what sucks most about it is when we’re put in helpless situations with no clear solution.

you’d think people in the profession of helping people with hearing disabilties would know how crucial lip-reading is… and especially when you have this weird paste in your ears and your hearing aid is getting repairs done. all that to say, i am proud of you for braving out the appointment. i can’t even begin to imagine the drowning sensation of anxiety while being alone due to not having anyone there to advocate in your place. but you did it though, and it sucked, but you got through it! wishing with every fiber in my being that your next appointment goes as smoothly as possible.

i hope this weekend ahead can be used for you to take it as easy as you can after that wild appointment!

love,
twix

2 Likes

Hey there ,
Totally agree, anxiety really does suck and it’s sad to hear they left you like that (no clear masks they could have worn?)
I had a panic attack at the doctor’s and at the dentist the other day and it really is hard not being able to have a friend or someone to be with us no more . However at the doctor’s , they had a notice on the wall saying please contact us at the time of booking appointment if you need to be accompanied.
Perhaps next time when making the appointment your mum can explain what happened this time for you and say that she needs to be with you , for communication reasons as well as support ?
Hope it goes better in future, hopefully all this Covid stuff be over soon anyways :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi, I completely understand what you are going through! I also have really bad anxiety and find it hard to do stuff on my own and leave the house. I’m sorry you are struggling and that you have been having hearing problems. That must be really hard! I find doing some breathing exercises helps me and focusing on just doing one thing at a time. Do you have anyone else in your life like a friend or family member who can go with you to appointments next time? I hope you can find a way to reduce your anxiety. Some other ideas are looking around where you use your senses to ‘ground’ yourself are and finding 5 things you can see, 4 things you can hear, 3 things you can touch, 2 things you can smell, 1 thing you can taste.

https://www.smilingmind.com.au/smiling-mind-app

3 Likes

Hey friend,

For sure, anxiety is a bitch. I hate how much it makes every simple action of life incredibly difficult and stressful for so many of us. It’s very draining and I wish you didn’t have to feel that way lately.

It truly makes sense to feel that stress. What you describe was like a sudden loss of an important part of what helps you to navigate in your environment. Once someone takes that away from you, then I imagine the world becomes a strange and overwhelming place where you have to over-analyze everything, just to catch up on a bit of what’s going on around you. It’s objectively overwhelming, and in your situation I would have hated that process too. It makes sense to be upset and stressed in such circumstances.

I hope you got some rest after this appointment. It was a scary step for your own well-being, and a stressful experience, but hopefully this will be a way for you to have the best tools to support you in the future. :hrtlegolove:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.