Anxious about my cat

I have anxiety, lately my Cat has always been asking for food, she is 10 years old, So i started to get worried if she is eating enough. I told my mum I will call the vet and she got angry that I am bringing her new things to stress her and said I am always finding new ways to be anxious.

I called the vet, and the vet said she is eating enough but if she is asking for food so much it could be a sign she is ill and wants to see her. I also realised my cat is no longer drinking water from the tap anymore so I am a bit worried I have not seen her drink water for ages.

My mum is going on holiday and I know if I tell her she will get angry Im bring her more stress so idk what to do.

5 Likes

Hey. Did you take your cat to the vets? It’s always best to be cautious than to leave it with animals, I think you did the right thing contacting the vet and trying to keep your cat safe and well!

2 Likes

in the meanwhile, what yo u can try is to give her food with water added to it. I’m thinking of those tins of wet food with gravy, just add some extra water to it. Most cats would lap up the flavoured water, then eat the food.
Can you possibly get another brand of food to try out? Sometimes they can get tired of the same food. Is she pooping and urinating normally? Look out for any kind of straining when she goes to use the bathroom.
Make sure she has access to lots of fresh water too.

And also monitor is her behaviour has changed: more clingy, sleeping more, excessively grooming one area, etc.

Let us know how things progress. Wishing you and her all the best

3 Likes

Does your cat go outside? If she does, she may be finding water elsewhere. Sita’s idea about wet cat food is really good. Can you pay for the vet with your own money? The cost could be the reason your mom is upset about it. My vet charged $387 for exam, annual shots, and bloodwork. Hopefully your vet is more reasonable. If it becomes clear that your cat is getting sick, and money is an issue, explain it to the vet. I know my vet will accept a payment plan.

2 Likes

I havent yet because im not sure if my mum would let me :frowning:

She is just meowing all the time for food or bathroom. but mainly food, im very worried about her but I know if i tell my mum she will be stressed out. idk what to do

1 Like

can you take a video and send it to your vet?

It may be helpful for the vet to be able to see what the cat is doing and see if there are any more clues.

1 Like

There’s only one way to know if your mom will accept, and that’s by asking her,right? Try to find the courage to ask her soon. I say soon because you don’t know if something is wrong or not, but if there is…it could get worse. If you bring her to the vet sooner, and if there is something wrong, it could be less money to get her the help now.
What about buying a cheap can of wet cat food, put some of the sauce/gravy in some water (put about 1 part sauce to 2 or 3 parts of water). You can buy canned cat food for under 1$ at the grocery store, maybe even the dollar store, just make sure it’s not the paste kind of food, get the one with chunks and sauce/gravy). Good luck.

3 Likes

I just thought about something…sometimes there’s places like the human society, or the SPCA that will provide vet care for less money then it could cost at the vet. Try calling places like that and ask if they have a program like that if they say no ask if they know of a place that does. If you find one, explain what’s happening and ask about how much it costs to get her a check up.Then you could go to your mom with that information, it will show that your doing something to help out and maybe it could be less than what your mom would think it could cost? Worth trying…right? :wink:

3 Likes

love these ideas! @v4ventetta hopefully you can do some of these, and get either real figure for how much it’ll cost or see how best you can monitor how much kitty cat is eating and drinking.

2 Likes

the price isnt the problem, my mum is going on holiday and wants no stress. She was raised with animals in poor country so she has a very “i raised 20 cats, i know what im doing” mentality even tho that was in a place and time with no modern vet care where pets ate left overs and such.

I also suffer anxiety so my mum thinks its my anxiety when im worried. I am not sure if I should try convinve or have vet come over when she is away secretly but id still have to wait.

1 Like

Oh…ok! And I completely understand what you mean as far as your mom growing up in a different time etc. It’s true, things were different back then and even the way animals were taken care of. Bringing a pet to the vet wasn’t 'the thing to do as it is now days. People did what they could to help their animals if sick, and they did so at home. I won’t go into details about how very sick animals were dealt with but I’m assuming that if you know the details you mentioned about your mom and back in her days…then you most likely know what I’m talking about.
When does she leave for her holidays? And does she not think anything is wrong with your cat?

1 Like

around 2 weeks. No she thinks my cat is being a drama queen or wanting our attention.

so let’s break it down:

1. can you try calmly talking to your mom, just asking her if she noticed x, yz about the cat?
  2. send the vet a video of the behaviour and see if she sees anything concerning that requires a visit
  3. will you able to carry the cat to the vet while your mother is away? Dunno your specifics, so is there someone who can go with you, if needed?
  4. i know it’s been roughly three weeks since the first post, is the behaviour the same, has it changed/gotten worse?
  5. is your cat an indoor can so you can monitor how much water and food she eats? If she is, can you isolate her and give her own bowl of food and water so you can see just how much she eats/drinks in a day?
  6. have you tried spending more cuddle times/games with her? maybe her mood will improve?
3 Likes

Just to add to @Sita questions…is your cat vaccinated?

1 Like

Well that is something a cat can do… animals can make themselves sick to get their owner notice them if something isn’t ok with them.
If you did build up the courage to ask her if you can bring her to the vet,… have you considered the benefits?

1. Your cat gets checked out.
  2. Alot of stress is released from you,which is causing your anxiety.
1 Like

Did you ever get your kitty baby to the vet? I know I am late to the post but I hope all is well with you and the kitty cat. You are loved! <3 Zeph

1 Like

My cat often complains to be fed because it’s bored or wants attention too. I echo Sita saying that adding water to the food helps. Some animals are picky, make sure you change the water bowl every day.
My friends dog won’t drink water unless it’s fresh and ice cold!

2 Likes

Another reason why ‘some’ cats and dogs might want to eat a lot is due to the lack of quality ingredients in the food they’re being given. There’s not enough vitamins etc to keep them ‘full’ either at all or not very long so they’ll ask for more food.

1 Like

@v4ventetta it’s been a little while, is there any update on kitty and how she’s feeling now?

2 Likes