Balancing job with mental health

Hey guys its Hbus,

I wanted to get some things off my chest and be raw with you all. I’ve been at my job now for nearly 10 months now, and I’ve honestly loved it. My mental health has been acting up lately and I’ve had to miss work over the last 6 months or so due to doctors appointments, and also having a bad mental day.

I was recently put on a new medication that I’m having terrible side effects to. I had the worst panic attack at work yesterday, I’m experienced with anxiety and having attacks, but this was the worst one i have ever experienced. I almost passed out in the bathroom because I was hyperventilating so badly. My body went completely numb and I was having trouble speaking. I didn’t go to work again today because I need to recover from yesterday, but I’m already on thin ice at work.

I’m writing this because I don’t know how to balance keeping my mental health in check, and work. It’s affecting my work life, and I would love to know how to better balance the two. If I take care of mental health when I have bad days, i sacrifice my job, but if I focus on my job and let my mental health go, then I spiral out of control and sacrifice not only my mental health, but my job as well. I can’t find a good medium. I’m tired of dealing with all of this, but I’m also tired of all the bullshit at work. I’m trying to better myself and my job has essentially continued to threaten me of losing my job if I don’t watch my attendance, which I understand on their part, but I don’t know what to do.

Love you guys,
Hannibal.

1 Like

@Hannibals

I’m sorry you are in a dark place. To tell you the truth, I don’t know. I am learning to balance my job and mental health. It’s not perfect, but not bad. Thank you for being honest. This shows you really do care about yourself, you still have strength in you. Even though you had it. Which is okay. Continue to share your struggles with this community when you feel comfortable. We love you. Love yourself first, my friend. I hope you will figure out of what to do in your current situation. If not, it’s fine. There are people in this community who will help you. Once again thank you. God bless you.

Hey Hannibal :smiley:

Sorry that you’re going through that. It sounds like you’re trying to juggle two things at once: long-term mental health that will set you up to be healthy in life, and your work, which you have to fulfill for the short term (gotta eat and pay rent!).

Do you think it’s simply a matter of bandwidth? Like only if you had enough time you could tackle the mental health stuff and then go to work? Or, is it more of an issue to where if you found a great solution to all of the things happening, you could solve it and move on?