BeneathTheSkin Fan #5

I dont fit in and my family seems to care more about their careers than me or my brother.

Yeah man, it can be totally invalidating when people don’t even recognize that they’re whisking you away…that they put you down or minimize what matters to you or what you’re up to compared to what they deem as more “worthy” of their attention. I remember vying for attention with my siblings, feeling like dinner conversations were constant battles for who’s doing the best / achieving the most…like my worth was some kind of competition, and when I couldn’t win the conversation, I felt like I just wanted to crawl into a hole…it wasn’t worth fighting if they didn’t want me to be there even when I wasn’t on my “A” game. Especially when people put you down over things that don’t matter nearly as much as you, their own kid…like their career? Really? So frustrating to feel invisible or second class to that. I’m sorry that you feel invalidated by your family. You’re not alone in what you’re going through, and thank you for sharing your heart.

That’s tough. I definitely know what you’re feeling there. I’m here to support in any way. Have you expressed (in a hopefully calm way) your fears and frustrations to any of the contributing parties? I highly recommend that if you feel comfortable. People often like to fix what they broke, they just need the chance. Admittedly, some are toxic and with those confronting just makes it much worse.