Biblical Forgiveness

John 3:16-17 says “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.”

It’s a nice platitude about how God sent Jesus to forgive us and not condemn us, right?

I did an exercise on this last night. The premise was that if God forgave the world, or more precisely everybody in it, then shouldn’t we too? It then went on to take out “the world” and put in blanks to write a person’s name, and I felt like I’d been punched in the stomach.

“For God so loved _________ that he gave his one and only Son, that [if] _________ believes in him, [ _________ ] shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn _________, but to save _________ through him.”

This is going to give me a lot to think about in the next few days. It may be one of the most powerful things I’ve ever read, and I wanted to share it with you.

8 Likes

Hey @SheetMetalHead,

Thank you so so much for sharing this. So many years of reading this verse and not once have I put two and two together. My punch in the stomach is coming, I’m sure.

Sending love,
Alex

2 Likes

Hey @SheetMetalHead

Thanks for sharing this. For many years i have forgotten how deep the Father’s love is for us due to previous trauma. Totally needed this.

On top of this try inserting your name instead of “love” in 1 Corinthians 13:4-8

3 Likes