Burnt Out and Life is a Question Mark

I was just laid off from a job that I’ve had for almost a year, due to a closure. I gave my all to the job and became burnt out, to the point where it severely affected every area of my life outside of work. It’s a blessing it ended.

I want to take the next week to rest. To not think of applying for jobs or even unemployment. (Because that, in itself, means I need to search for jobs.) Next week I hopefully will be able to talk to a lady who has a ministry for kids with special needs in Africa. From what I read, this would be right up my alley. It actually gives me a built in reason to “be okay” with waiting to pursue a job right now when I already need a break. I am being realistic that this conversation with the lady may not even end with any possibility of a long term missionary position. But in the case it does, I don’t want to search for a job at least til I’ve talked with her, when maybe I might not be in America for much longer. (Especially a school job where I’d have to sign a contract). :woman_shrugging:

For any of you out there who pray, I’d appreciate prayers. :blush: Or words of encouragement.

I know God is Sovereign and in control. He has good plans for me. But it’s still hard to know sometimes if I’m in His will or being foolish. I’m grateful I have 2-3 months worth of money to live on. But I still feel like I need to be doing something. Even though after this last year, I know healing is priority number one.

Thanks for reading. :blush:

3 Likes

It sounds like you are making exactly the right choices. I have taken time to breathe and clear my head between jobs too. I did have a problem with procrastination, so sometimes I really had to push myself to get back into the workforce.

A missionary position really does sound wonderful. I imagine it will take several calls to this lady just to talk about it and make plans. I think it would be best for you to reach out to her right away. If you are moving away, it’s best to have ample time to prepare.

The remarkable thing is, even if you make a wrong turn, the Creator can make it right, and the mistake becomes a worthwhile step instead.

1 Like

Hi there @NomadicWanderer,

This sounds like a wonderful plan! I’m glad that you see this transition as a blessing, and I think a week-long break before starting a “proper” job search sounds awesome. I’m wishing you all the best of luck in your discussion next week and hope you get a job that works well for you.

Don’t hesitate to reach out with updates on your job search, if anything is on your mind. We’re always here for you.

<3 Tuna

3 Likes

Hey, thank you for sharing here.
Between jobs is such a difficult place, but it sounds like you’re making the most of it by focusing on recovery and healing!
That potential opportunity in Africa sounds like it would be super fulfilling! Whether it does or does not happen, your willingness to relocate (as the corporates sometimes call it) could open up other opportunities, too.
However things go, I shall root for you.

3 Likes