Can anyone help?

I’m doing a camp and I can not talk to anyone. At all. I mean I can, but it’s too nerve wrecking! Then I end up not having any friends which ends up being completely depressing. What do I do? Does anyone else feel this way?

It doesn’t help that I hate everything I do. It’s like- who would even want to be friends with me?

4 Likes

Hey friend! I’m a camp, you just need to take it day at a time. Find someone, anyone, even if it’s your camp leader and just say hello or introduce yourself. As someone who went to camps, I can tell you that I know what you feel. I never spoke to anyone willingly, but I did try to talk. I’m here for you friend!

It doesn’t help that I hate everything I do. It’s like- who would even want to be friends with me?

Yes, lacking of self-confidence, of just seeing ourselves at not worthy, surely impacts a lot on our capacity to reach out to others and build friendships. But it’s not impossible. At this point, you wonder why people would spend time with you, would be interested by you, because you can’t see in yourself anything that would be worth their time. The perception that you have of yourself is a lie though. It’s something you’ve learned with time, but it can definitely be unlearned. The paradox is that to unlearn this perception, we also need others to some extent, to build trust with other people. So the first steps are scary. There’s a part of taking risks, of potentially being disappointed by others too. But as long as you keep in mind that how you see yourself is the major wall there, then you can keep some distance with how others would perceive you too.

As Inuko said: take it easy. Aim for small steps. Introduce yourself, indeed. Try to ask questions when you’re in a conversation - think in terms of what/who/when - so you keep the conversation going. Try to relate if you can with your own experiences and interests. There’s a life within you that is absolutely valuable and worthy of the time of others. And if someone is not interested in talking with you, keep in mind that it’s not about you as a person. It’s only because we’re not meant to be friends with everyone. Though there’s absolutely people out there you’ll be able to connect to at a deeper level.

Give it a try to talk. Experience. Explore. It might be a little bit messy at first because communication and relationships are constantly changing. But be sure to be proud of yourself each time you try, because you give yourself the opportunity to learn too.

The people who’ll truly learn to know you will be blessed by your presence!

We believe in you. :hrtlegolove:

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.