Car Accident trauma

For the past month I been having flashbacks about a car accident I got about a year ago with my little brother. We were driving down to Folsom when a car rear ended us pretty hard. Luckily we all drove off unharmed and the car was good, but it still scared me pretty bad. To this day I still get bad trauma from it. I have neck and back pain that still hasn’t healed from the accident. There are times even a simple ambulance siren sets me off crying and remembering the day of the accident.Today I woke up crying because of the nightmare I had last night of hearing cars honking at us and getting back in the accident in my nightmare. Im to a point in my life where I’m really scared to get in a car with anyone even an expert driver. The trauma doesn’t seem to be going away and I don’t know what to do.

3 Likes

I am not an expert driver nor an expert at responding to posts but I hear you! What you went through was traumatic. You had your little brother in the car with you and maybe you feel responsible for him when he’s with you, you still have physical pain to remind you of the accident, and an accident can bring you face to face with the possibility of long-term injury, maiming or dying. And you were just going about your day…

It might help to intentionally talk yourself through the reality of the moment when you get scared or relive the memory. Your dreams are not reality and you’re not the one in need of an ambulance right now. Finding a counselor to talk to might be a good option, esp if you didn’t talk much about the accident after it happened. You might have thought it was no big deal since you drove away from it, but then your mind starts thinking of all the “what ifs.” I’m glad you posted here. I think it’s really important to deal with it so it doesn’t become debilitating. All the best to you as you make your way.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.