College anxiety and hopelessness

Hey

I’m in college now. Moved in 3 days ago. Haven’t even started classes and I’m a mess. Outside I have it together. But inside I’m like a car crash happening over and over again. I’ve masked my problems so well for so long that now I can’t even show that I’m having problems. I want to cry. I want to rage and yell, but I just can’t.

I’ve hardly eaten, my sleep schedule is either too much sleep or not enough, I’m miserable and I’m not clicking with my roommates.

I’m going to an art college, and I’ve learned for the next 2 years I will be having structured classes where I will not be able to practice what I want as I will not have access to those spaces after class. I have no idea what to do about that because now I have no coping mechanism as the art I did was how I got away from things. I can’t play videogames anymore because I don’t have anywhere to do it without roommates existing there. That was my other coping mechanism. Now I’m stuck in this world of hell where I can’t escape aside from sleep.

I have no idea what to do and I’m so miserable and lost.

5 Likes

Hello Halloween,

It sounds like you have a lot on your plate right now & I think anyone would be overwhelmed with all of that on their shoulders. Just take it one day at a time. This might be an opportunity to find new coping mechanisms that you can use while you are at art college.

I am proud of you for reaching out & posting here on HeartSupport. I hope you keep us updated on the progress you experience. You are important. You are valid. You are enough. You matter.

-StarFox :yellow_heart:

2 Likes

Moving into an new environment is stressful. Hopefully, you’ll feel a lot different about it in a few weeks. It takes time to adjust to roommates.

Can you scale down your art so you can work on it in your room? Is there a gym you have access to? My coping mechanisms include a lot of reading. I have a Kindle with a few thousand books on it. Take note of how others are coping. Maybe some of their strategies can work for you.

That’s why I suggested the gym. It’s a way to release emotion through physical activity.

I hope it gets better for you. Wings

2 Likes

Hello Friend, I bet you are not the only one new to college who feels lost, but it’s only been a few days. Give yourself some time to get used to things. I bet it won’t be long until you become friends with your room mates and you’re going to be so busy with your structured classes you won’t have time to think about much more than that. You’re going to be OK. If you do have problems you can visit your Campus Services to see if they can help you with what you need. They have all types of options for you. Let us know how things are going. ~Mystrose

3 Likes

Hey Friend, firstly congratulations for getting into college, that is a great achievment. I would like to start however by saying that you really need to be a bit kinder to yourself here. Its been 3 days! Your life has changed massively and its been 3 days, of course its upsetting, different, worrying, scary, etc etc. It takes time to start a new life somewhere, meet new people get to know them, and settle. please give yourself time. Get to know everyone and everything. Before you know it, you will make this home and you will wonder what you were worried about. Until then, be kind to yourself, treat yourself to a few nice things. You are going to be ok friend and we are here for you always. Much Love Lisalovesfeathers. x

3 Likes

You’re bringing me back to the way I felt later on in college. The first few days for me were scary but exciting, like jumping out of a plane. After that, like the others have said, you’ll settle into a routine and find your groove. That said, don’t wait too long for things to get better on their own. I’d make an appointment with mental health services to at least start that relationship with someone. If your school doesn’t have mental health services, I’ll bet there are counselors nearby that cater to students and their limited finances.

Are there art clubs you can join to practice your craft? Part of college is getting through the boring classes the first couple years, but that shouldn’t hold you back from doing what you love and what you accel at, and they usually have extracurricular outlets for people to pursue their passions. If not the art department, maybe the theater department? If not in school, maybe in a local maker space or community theater? There’s always a way, and the hardest part is usually* finding it.

As for video games, are you concerned about keeping your roommates awake, or do you just like the privacy of playing alone? Again, there are ways around that. Maybe find a quiet common area TV to hook up to. I know our TV lounges were almost always empty. If you’re looking for privacy, try some nice cancelling headphones. I use them for work, and they make the rest of the room disappear. Otherwise, maybe you can play with your roommates. Very different people can bond over some interesting things.

Keep us updated. College can be an amazing time, but also scary. Know that you’re not alone, it’s a time where large portions of your peers also feel isolated (which is kind of ironic). Know the difference between solitude and isolation, and try not to let yourself become isolated. It’s also a time where you can try new things without being judged. “There’s a time and a place for everything. It’s college.”

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.