Control Freak or am I being crazy?

I realize this is not the biggest problem in the world but this has been bothering me for a fairly long time. So I have this friend who always “jokingly” tells me about dressing up this way or that way. Comments like “why can’t you be like this?”, “why can’t you dress like that?”. At first, I didn’t think much of it. I thought it was just his silly jokes but now it’s just getting to me a bit too much.

I have suffered from body image issues for quite some time and this just seems to be getting worse with these comments over the past few days. I don’t know what to do. I have asked this person to stop but he just doesn’t get it.

2 Likes

Hi Monty,

I don’t think you’re being unreasonable, a control freak or crazy.

I think we all have insecurities to some degree, and it’s pretty inconsiderate for your friend to ask you such questions. To be honest I find it hard to think of a reason he might ask.

I think its important for friends to be supportive of each other, especially when it comes to things that bother them, no matter the reason. Honestly if it was me I would spend some time away from said friend as he appears to be bad for your mental well-being. Maybe then he will realize how bad his comments actually bother you.

Thank you so much for this!
I am an introvert and I find it a bit difficult to express how I feel to someone even if they are hurting me. But I have tried several times to make him realize that it is extremely bothersome for me in hopes that he might get the hint and stop or apologize.

1 Like

You’re welcome, friend.

I know your struggle - I am an introvert as well. I have a philosophy now though, where if someone is causing me that much grief I just remove them from the situation. At the end of the day, your well-being is what matters most.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.