Coping mechanisms

So, I’ve been a binge drinker since college (aged 21 to 27), and have been sober since the beginning of the year.
With Covid-19 and being isolated, my mental state has been topsy turvy due to past traumas, so does anyone have any coping methods to use to avoid hitting the bottle?

3 Likes

First off, welcome to the community! We’re glad you’re here! Everyone here has their own story that uniquely poises them to help different situations in specific ways.

Second off, congratulations on your sobriety! That’s a big accomplishment.

As for coping tips that aren’t drinking, that’s a tad out of my wheelhouse, but others here can weigh in with more authority. Have you done any 12 step programs? I’m in one now, sort of a bring-your-own-issues deal, and it’s helped me re-frame some of my old, long-time thought patterns. Other methods that have worked for people on here are reading, writing, music, and exercise.

@JamieMarie1992 To start, welcome to the community! You will love it here because everyone is supportive. I’ve been in and out for years, but now I am back permanently, because like you, I am sober. Have been for 51 days. There’s this journal-like book called Burn After Writing by Sharon Jones. If you haven’t heard of it, definitely invest in it. It’s been my go to distraction for depression, sticking with my sobriety, loneliness, and boredom. It’s pretty awesome. I was planning to buy a keyboard to help as well, but I am saving my money for a move. I also am going to a dual diagnosis group. It deals with mental issue disorders and substance use disorders. I love it because it doesn’t focus on one thing by itself and it’s very informative. May be check to see what groups they have to offer in your area and I found that AA meetings are being done through Zoom meetings (at least here they are working out that way). I would look into that as well.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.