Dealing with long COVID and depression/ anxiety

Hi, I’ve been dealing with COVID since November of last year. My main symptoms are gone but I’m still dealing with major anxiety attacks and depression on top of stomach issues and vertigo. It’s been a crazy journey these past few months. On top of it all I still haven’t fully grieved over my father’s passing of a year ago so it feels like I’m in a hole I can’t get of of. It’s a never ending cycle and it’s ruining my life. Can’t go back to work, can’t be the best mom I can be because I’m so weak and can’t get out much and it’s causing a toll on my relationship. I’m mentally burned out but I keep pushing everyday for my kids and to regain the person I was before all of this.

9 Likes

Hey friend, thank you so much for reaching out. You’ve been through a lot since last year and I can only imagine the toll it’s been taking on you both physically and emotionally. Your exhaustion is absolutely felt through your words, and there is no doubt that you’ve been trying your best through it all. There are circumstances at play there that you couldn’t and can’t control entirely, however there is hope for you to recreate and find a new normal. Are you supported at all in your life? With your partner, doctors, family or friends? There is a lot of pressure on your shoulders right now, and you’ve been somehow pushed to keep moving for a long time now without having the time to process what was happening. You deserve to slow down, even in the midst of parental and life responsibilities – your well-being is a top priority. <3

4 Likes

I’m so very sorry to hear about your father passing. The pain isn’t something that can easily just be forgotten and solved. On top of the present symptoms you have and the Covid you’ve had I can only imagine the toll it’s been taking on your body. It really sounds like you need a break and space to process all this. May I ask if you see a therapist or even talk to your dr about what you’ve been experiencing? Sometimes having that listening ear can relieve so much burden. You’re incredible for being so strong and for doing what you do for your kid’s sake! I can’t imagine how the present battle must feel when you’re having to give your attention to others. Perhaps that attention and time needs to be more focused on you. Giving yourself time to fully recover. I know people who’ve been struggling with long term affects from Covid and who’ve had those anxiety and depressive episodes triggered from it. Your body and mind are needing more support and I do hope that you are getting it. X

3 Likes

Hi Mrs,
thank you for reaching out. Welcome to Heart Support.
can relate to a lot to post covid symptoms. i had to deal with muscle problems and exhaustion for almost 8 weeks.
after that, my mental health startet his own path of obstacles in my mind, a marathon i have now to run.
i feel so sorry to hear about the passing of your father, my tougths are with you. :purple_heart:
there is a lot of going on in your life right now. to keep going is important, to keep looking forward. but don’t pressure
yourself too much. don’t have a too high expectation on yourself too fast. patience is not often a friend of ours,
but should be in that case. one step a time, small steps also are steps.
i am aware that everything is easier said then done, i speak from my experience. take care of yourself, give yourself
some time also. i am sure you are a beautiful mom and friend.
you have reached out here, talk to that with your friends and family. let them be your guiding hand in that time.
there is nothing bad with that, there is nothing weak about it. i think it is brave, so brave what you have done here,
and you will be brave in the future.
take your time for yourself now, you will have more of it later. thanky you for reaching out my friend.
you are loved and you matter most. feel hugged :purple_heart:
you are to be held, not to be missed

3 Likes

Hi Friend, My goodness you are trying to manage so much on little energy either mental or physical, you must feel like you are spinning plates sometimes. I am so terribly sorry for the loss of your Dad, I cannot imagine how hard that is and again that will have worn you down and affected your ability to get well. This long covid sounds just dreadful and frustrating as you probably do not get much of a response medically. I would please encourage you to not concern yourself with being the “best” mum, but be the best you can manage. Your health is so important and I have no doubt that you try so hard to keep those plates spinning and it really ok to stop a few of them and come back to them when you feel better. Your children loved you before and still love you now and they like us and everyone else just want the best for you and your health. Please post here whenever you wish, you are loved. Lisa. x

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve been so sick @Mrsbritpage :(( I know plenty of my friends who have had long COVID, and how bad it’s taken a toll on all of them. I haven’t had COVID, but I understand being sick a long time because I’ve had on and off sickness for a while. I do wonder, since you cannot go back to work, if you can get on some sort of financial compensation for it. I do want to share with you the following resources down below on coping with the loss of your father. I know how difficult that is, and how bad you’ve shut down from it. I’m hoping these can provide you some comfort in these troubling times for you.

Regarding your relationship, I do have resources on conflict resolution-- if you do need those as well. If you need a counselor type of hotline, https://www.loveisrespect.org/ has counselors 24/7, just like the crisis hotlines, that are here to help you in any way, shape or form. They also provide resources and information themselves.

I hope I helped a little bit. Please keep us updated, and take it easy on yourself. You’re a hardworking mother, partner, and daughter. It’s okay to have to rest and find “yourself” again. Just remember, all these hard days are not forever. You can overcome these struggles, and be stronger than even before you got sick with COVID.

Wishing you the best, take care friend.

1 Like

Hi Mrsbritpage

Welcome to the community and thank you for sharing your story with us.

First of all, I want to say how much I admire you. You have had so much to deal with these past few months and yet you are continuing to push everyday for your family. That’s incredible and is a testament to your strength and the love you have for your kids.

With recovery from both illness and trauma, there is a natural desire to focus on being who we were before. However, when we’re stuck in a bad place, our brains often exaggerate how functional or productive we were in the past compared to how we are now. I’m not saying that what has happened to you hasn’t had a massive impact on what your able to do, it obviously has, but I just want to throw a note of caution against that comparison. Regardless of that, you’re probably not the same person you were before all of this happened to you. What I’m trying to say is that instead of focussing on regaining who you think you were, I think focusing on being the best you can be today is a healthier way of framing your recovery.

Remember to be kind to yourself. You are entitled to your grief and your pain. Allow yourself to recover and accept that this journey may not be about regaining the past, but finding a new way to be.

Look after yourself, you’re loved. x

1 Like

Welcome to the Heart Support Community my friend. I’m so glad you felt safe to come and talk about what is happening in your life. Long Covid is such an unknown, poorly understood problem and that has to be so frustrating for you. To be “recovered” from the main symptoms of the infection but still experiencing the effects you have lingering has to be wearing. I do hope that they begin to lessen for you soon. I want to say I’m so sorry for your father’s passing. It can be very difficult to lose a parent and not be able to fully grieve. Grieving though can take as long as you need to work through the pain and loss. Have you talked with your family doctor about the anxiety and depression? Perhaps a therapist or counselor would be of help? Please know though that you don’t have to be the best mom for your children, you just need to be mom for your children. Please don’t put too much pressure on yourself to do everything and to do everything right. They just need to know that you are there and love them. Please know that you are welcome to come back as often as you need to talk and please let us know how you are doing. Please take good care of you as you go through this healing journey. You matter and you are loved.