Depressed and need some help

Hey guys. I’ve been feeling really depressed lately and I don’t know what to do. I’ve been a year clean from self harm up until today and I feel awful about it… any advice

1 Like

@CarolynIsAFallenAnge thank you for reaching out here… It wasn’t until I started to neglect my HeartSupport ReWrite book that I started to relapse with my self harm. If you haven’t looked into that maybe it’d be a good idea. Try and talk to someone you trust about how you’re feeling, if you have no one you feel you can talk too you can always come and join the community discord! You will recieve nothing but love and encouragement If you want links to either of those things just shout and we will get them to you!

Hold Fast
Kayla

1 Like

Be proud of yourself for being clean that long, that was dedication and practice. It’s okay to fall down, know we are here. We’re all hurting too, but we’ll hurt together. Stay strong. Focus on a hobby or something and keep your focus on that. The devil bites, but we’re here to stitch you up. Have hope

2 Likes

Thank you So much. It means a lot to me that you took time out of your day to reply to me and to give me hope.

1 Like

Hey Carolyn,

Thank you for sharing. Great job on an entire year - that’s not easy! Try to forgive yourself for the relapse. Remember, relapses are not the end, they are part of the journey. Today may not be your best day, but tomorrow has possibility and can be better. Take it one day at a time. Heck, take it one hour or minute at a time if you need to - this is your life, your story.

Sending love. Hold fast.
<3 AnitaBandaid

1 Like

Hey,

I am really proud of you for staying clean. That shows such great self control and discipline of the mind.

My advice is, when you feel like relapsing try some workout activity of some sort. I was having recently an episode of relapse into my severe anxiety and I started going to the gym, just casually doing easy exercises. I have no words to describe how great it feels after you sweat for just 30 min or an hour. It feels like all that bad energy, anger and resentment melts away.

Hope that helped. If you absolutely dread working out (which I understand) you could try anything that you feel could burn that bad physical energy, whether is a hobby, or just ranting to us or a friend, or swimming, or eating chocolate. Just find a substitute.

Best of luck.

All love,

Soda

1 Like

Hey @CarolynIsAFallenAnge,

If you relapse in self-harm, don’t focus on the slip-up; instead, focus on the victory of making it an entire year! That’s exciting and something to be proud of! Next, set a goal to beat your record by making it 1 year & 1 day clean.

If you aren’t seeing a licensed counselor and/or psychiatrist, I would highly recommend it. A psychiatrist can prescribe you something to take the edge off of the negative feelings, and it’s clinically proven that talking to a counselor (or best friend) helps you feel much better; they can give you the proper tools in order to help beat your demons.

I also recommend to check out HeartSupport’s two books ReWrite and Dwarf Planet. ReWrite is super cool too because it also has a workbook in the back of the book that will help you along your journey of getting (and staying) clean of self-harm.

In the meantime, here are some great articles that give you some tips on feeling better (in addition to exercising, getting enough sleep, eating healthy, etc) when you’re going through swings of depression:

-Eric

@CarolynIsAFallenAnge, Stay strong, you are loved and have the full community here behind you for support. The links posted in this thread are fantastic outlets and starting points on the road to self-recovery. I too have recently been struggling with feelings of regret of a decision made and the self-hated associated with that regret. Use this community as your outlet, you are not alone. I highly recommend the book Resilience by Eric Greitens. It can provide some additional wisdom on how to frame your outlook and overcome depression. I recently have started reading it, after two years of struggling with depression. We are always here for you and you can get through this.

1 Like