Dysphoria is weird

I’m a trans man and to be honest, dysphoria is really weird for me. I was listening to Dysphoric by Cavetown because I was already dysphoric (by the way if you listen to Cavetown, be my friend). Then I decided I was going to sing it because I’m a musician and that’s kinda what I do. So I put the capo on fret 3 where I’m used to singing the song and realized that I could go down a half step. I was REALLY happy and euphoric because my voice is lower but get this.

Then I started CRYING because it wasn’t as low as Robbie’s voice was. Not only has Robbie been on T for… several years, especially when he sang the version I was listening to, but he’s also a natural alto, and I’m a soprano.

I just… I know I shouldn’t compare my voice and body to other men but I just want to have a voice where I can pass. My voice is the only reason I don’t pass at this point. It’s too high, too feminine. I can hide my body under loose baggy clothes, but I can’t hide my voice.

6 Likes

hi there!

want to start this reply by saying thank you for reminding me about cavetown/robbie!! “this is home” is one of my favorite songs and “dysphoric” is now making me listen to his whole discography for the first time and every song is a masterpiece hehe

i’m a cis woman so i can’t even begin to understand the frustrations of being trans. from my friend’s experiences though, i know that dysphoria is one hell of a beast. i think it’s important to remind yourself that essentially, you’re on a journey. with the noticeable differences you identified when you went down a half step, you can hopefully tell how far you’ve come which is so cool! in time, your voice will be at a deep enough level that you are aiming for and will be confident in as you continue on. and hey, maybe you could duo with robbie some day! i’d pay crisp dolla bills for that collab :blue_heart:

all in all, i’m sending you a ton of good vibes and love. thank you for sharing this piece of yourself with this forum and i can’t wait to one day hear your cover of “dysphoric” in your voice :’)

love,
twix

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.