Embrace Day Nine

Questions to Answer:

1. Do you have a community or a group of Christians from church that are able to rally around you when times get tough? If so, what benefits have you seen? If not, what excuses do you make to keep you from connecting?
  2. Hebrews 10:25 (BSB) states ,“Let us not neglect meeting together, as some have made a habit.” When you’re not living connected or in community, what are the effects on your life? What steps can you take to correct that?
2 Likes
  1. No, I don’t. Reasons:
  • Joining a group of any kind is a decision that’s not easy to make because of social anxiety. It doesn’t feel natural to me and I can spend a lot, lot of time before actually connecting to a group or trying to be part of an activity.
  • I live in a country where most Christians communities are catholics and I don’t identify in catholicism. It’s very complex to find other kind of churches, and when they exist they’re generally located at a significant distance.
  • I never felt and still don’t feel like a “true” Christian. I don’t feel like fitting in a church or religious community. When I pray or walk into a church by myself, I feel like I don’t belong there.
  • I also tend to be too skeptic of people’s intentions, especially in religious communities, because of bad experiences.
  • I’m afraid of being disappointed if there is no possibility to have real and honest conversations about christianity and faith. I would hate feeling like someone there would try to impose their beliefs on me, or to have just one-sided conversations over and over.
  • I don’t feel the need to be part of a church.
  • I feel like my spirituality and my beliefs are personal. I also like to consider in my faith only what is meaningful to me, which could be seen as an insult by most religious people. I don’t like the idea of being part of an organized religion as I cannot agree with everything as a whole. Morally speaking, it would be untenable to me to pretend that just for the sake of having a community. I need my freedom to think and speak. So, I don’t want to be in a situation where I’m a community just to realize that people would try to change me and shape my faith according to how it works for them. My relationship with God is personal. I have a hard time with the idea of shared rituals and such that would have been thought for me, but wouldn’t be necessary meaningful. I also cannot agree with Christianity a a whole. There are way too many aspects that makes it up, but it’s also what makes it impossible to accept everything, at least for me.
  1. Without a community (in general), I’d feel very disconnected to the rest of the world, and alone. My social circles have been very reduced for the last couple years, and through the lockdowns last year I’ve realized how much just having a connection here at HeartSupport has helped me. Discussing with people. Sharing life together. It’s necessary to me. I don’t want to experience ever again the loneliness I have been through during my first years of being a student. It was a death of the soul.
    At the moment, I don’t intend to join a religious community. Maybe there would be more opportunities online, but I don’t know yet. Again, I’m convinced there would only be disappointment on both ends.
1 Like