Emotional Triggers

Hello and hope Everyone’s staying safe?

I’m in need of some help and advice for an emotional trigger I’m dealing with. I’m going to give a little back story first. I was born overseas in Seoul so I’m Asian. Whenever something controversial that’s in the news that has race involved it always triggers bad emotions for me and becomes hard to deal with. My question is how do I manage these emotional triggers and not to hide from them. Something I’ve decided to do which may not be the best thing perhaps right now is staying away from my social media websites. The thing about those are I use those platforms to help people understand about autism. I can’t be running away when something race related comes up. I’m doing a better job this year of reaching out for help when I need it! Take care Everyone and have a great day!!!

2 Likes

Hi @AspieGuy73 - Thank you so much for posting, I know this topic will be on the minds of many others right now as well so it is so welcomed here. Also, congratulations on feeling more comfortable reaching out for help! That is a huge accomplishment.

Sometimes when things that are very difficult happen, or we are faced with really emotional topics, our fight or flight kicks in. Sometimes, the immediate reaction is to run away, or even to be still or silent. It is really important, in my opinion, to recognize this behavior for what it is, your immediate reaction. I think what comes after is what really starts to make things easier for people. I believe posting here, you have accomplished the very first step; recognition! You see in yourself something that doesn’t serve you or the message you want to share with others. That is super important.

Not everyone can be an activist, or be on the front lines of protest, or even face the issue directly and be effective. It is okay to recognize your role, and acknowledge what you are capable of. I am sure your message reaches others with autism who are experiencing (or have experienced) racism or trauma, and you have their ear. Even thinking, what would make you feel supported as who you are, not during this time? Is this an opportunity to use your strengths (in reaching people about autism) to be there for the part of your community effected by this?

I don’t have all the answers, I don’t think anyone does, but just because your initial reaction is to turn away, doesn’t make what you do now any less important or valid. Acknowledgement, processing, and engagement might help you tackle the tough emotions in a productive way. You may be able to care for yourself, as well as support those in your circle and community who need it most right now.

Thank you for being here, you matter, and I stand with you.

2 Likes

You’re very welcome Echoe and thanks so much for reaching out to Me!!! I generally answer posts, tweets and other stuff that pertains to autism in general. Being a touchy topic for me I tend to not tackle it unless some directly asks me. I’m trying to not be so “flighty” when this arises and deal with it the best I can. I just don’t like getting pulled into the negativity aspect and trying to stay clear and at the same time do the help I want to for others. You’re welcome and thanks again for helping me out with this and I absolutely adore this community and happy to be part of it!!! Take care and have a nice afternoon/evening!!!

2 Likes

I totally get it Aspie! How to you tred rough water without getting wet, right? I think there is a graceful way to admit, recognize, and acknowledge the issue is outside your ability to tackle head on, that you don’t have all the answers and it is scary and sad to you, but still make room for the important parts like lifting up the voices in the movement. It is a difficult terrain to traverse, thank you for being brave!

1 Like

You’re welcome Echoe and thanks again!!

1 Like