Exercise! Ugh!

I have always been short (less than 5 ft) and fat (133 lbs). I was obese during my teens and now Im overweight (after being diagnosed with PCOD+Hypothyroidism, taking thyroid pills helped in reducing weight without any exercise/lifestyle changes. Still on it since 8 years).

Now Ive started putting on weight to the point that I dont fit into any of my cloths… I just bought them few months back. :sweat_smile:

Im a heavy emotional eater and absolutely LOVE food…taste and texture of food makes me happy. I dont think I eat excessively…like, I just had breakfast of 5 mini (around 5 cms in length x 1cm diameter) sausages and 3 slices of bread. Lunch will be left over chicken curry with 2 pieces of boneless chicken (less than a cup left) and again 2-3 slices of bread.
Dinner might be salad (no mayo…cashew paste dressing). Basically I feel im fat because of my hormonal issues and NO movement? Or I overeat and in denial. I did keep a food diary…I over eat when bored, stressed or when Im with friends. I used to be bulimic too…I havent purged since around 4 years I guess.

I HATE movement. I really MUST exercise as its affecting me mentally (always tired, sleepy, depressed).
I read that people with ADHD quit exercising because the amount of dopamine released after these activities are lesser than that of a normal person. So they dont feel ‘accomplished’ after any physical activity. I feel nothing except dread (about exercising again the next day) after working out :sweat_smile:. I feel no pleasure.

I tried joining a gym but discontinued after about a week. The last gym I joined was VERY expensive…I thought if I spent a lot of money, the pain of loosing the cash would stop me from quitting. :grimacing: That didnt work. In addition to being disappointed in myself, I was pretty mad/guilty about wasting SO much money.

I wanted to know if and how people here managed to start exercising and making it a habit.
Or any youtube or something recommendations? How did you guys start?
ANY and EVERY suggestions irrespective of wether they worked for you or not are welcome!

5 Likes

Hi Friend,
i started to motivate myself with small acitivities.
like in the morning when i stand up,i do some push ups. maybe also squats and sit ups.
also a plank once a day helps a lot.
don’t do too much to start.
i like push ups most, i do them randomly at daytime, when i go to the toilet, some push ups, afterwards
some push ups. it works good for me. also going for a walk often helps.
gyms are expensive but you can do a lot without some equipment.
maybe it helps you, give it a try.
Have a nice day my and feel hugged,
Greetings

3 Likes

Hi @s_ummer

There are some changes you could do to keep your weight under control. Maybe cutting down on the bread would be a good idea. That’s a lot of carbs and calories. It doesn’t look like you have a unhealthy diet tho, so it could be that you need to get out there and move around.

You could look up how many calories your body needs in a day for your height and weight on this site. It will tell you how many calories you would need to eat daily in order to maintain your weight or loose weight. It’s a good tool to use and it will help you do it in a safe and healthy way.

You can do some research on nutrition. Like learning how to read nutrition labels and the different foods that will help you stay healthy. You could research vitamins as well since you have low energy.

Going for a simple walk each day is a very good way to start. You can do short walks at first and slowly work your way up to longer walks. You could get a stationary bike if you wanted to exercise at home in private or you could even join a gym.

I’m very proud of you for healing from bulimia and I hope that you can get to your goal weight safely. :hrtlegolove:

3 Likes

I was an emotional eater throughout my childhood, and into adulthood. I was always overweight as a child, but in my late teens, I began a cycle of gaining and losing weight, in ever greater amounts. Eventually, I was gaining and losing a hundred pounds at a time. Then, about 20 years ago, my gains and losses began to moderate, and the extremes were 30 to 50 pounds, instead of 100.

I didn’t like exercise either. About 15 years ago, my hemoglobin A1c indicated that I was in the prediabetic range. It should not have surprised me, but it did. I knew that exercise helped to lower blood sugar, and refused medication until I could figure out whether or not exercise would help. In the beginning, I became short of breath after walking a couple of blocks. I slowly pushed my limits anyway, until I was walking miles at a time, up and down hill. Then I decided I exercise routine was occupying too much time, so to shorten it, I decided to start jogging. It felt like I was back to square one, getting short of breath after going a block, but I gradually increased that distance as well. Then I became curious about how far I could push myself, and was eventually able to run 10 miles.

I don’t do that anymore. I decided I was better off not putting that much stress on my knees, at my age. Now I walk 15 or 20 miles a week.

These days, my hemoglobin A1c is well below the prediabetic range. In addition to the exercise, I reduced my sugar intake to almost 0. I got used to not having much sugar, and I don’t miss it.

With that change of behavior 15 years ago, my weight has remained between 140 and 144 ever since.

When I first started, I was convinced that maintaining such healthy habits would be impossible, but I knew I had to try. I also realized that even if I tried and failed, my body would still benefit from the effort.

I noticed some very pleasant changes in myself. Then I did research to see if my response to exercise was very common. I learned that for many, exercise is an ideal kind of antidepressant. It also helps with mental clarity and alertness. Beyond that, it improves sleep, which also improves mood. Another surprise was that food cravings were greatly reduced.

Positive changes have a domino effect, because one improvement, makes other issues more manageable, leading to additional improvement. An unforeseen improvement was my increase in confidence, and comfort around other people. I’m still shy, but I’m way better than I was.

One thing I have done differently than anyone I have talked to about diet, is that I avoid large meals. I don’t stuff myself for holidays or other social eating situations. I don’t miss that feeling of bloat and lethargy either. There is no shortage of people who will imply that it’s not polite to attend a meal and remain unstuffed, though people no longer hassle me about it.

The hardest thing about an exercise routine, is making the first move. Start small, perhaps as little as five minutes a day. If you can work yourself up to increasing your heart rate for 20 minutes, three times a week, your body will be much more toned, and in all probability, your appetite will be easier to manage. There is something about investing time into exercise, that encourages a person to think twice about canceling out the effect with unnecessary calories.

Don’t go into denial. The truth is your friend. At the same time, be accepting and compassionate towards yourself. That is how you grow in self empowerment.

Keep us posted on how you’re doing. Wings

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.