Fear of the future

Hello Everyone!

I want to share about a topic that some consider somewhat controversial. I’m approaching an age that things start to drastically change, mostly physical. As I’ve told people many times the number in my name’s the year I was born and so I’m getting closer to the big five-o in less than 3 yrs(currently 47). I’ve already seen some subtle changes the last few yrs. I know that a ton of things go on once someone reaches 50. So there is some fear and doubt already creeping up on me with this. I’ve already had to take more naps this past year than in recent years and also my overall energy level’s not what it used to be. I hate to be captain obvious with all this, but like some, the fear is very real to me. Is it ok to dread the future, 3 yrs in advance? I want to say a big thanks and shout out to Everyone involved and helping with the Heart Support Community right here and on Twitch & Discord!!! Have a safe & Happy Holidays Everyone!!!

1 Like

Hey @AspieGuy73. I’m not sure I’m the best person to respond, but I wanted to try anyway.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with talking about getting older and the changes that come with it, and I think that if talking about it here is what helps to makes you comfortable with your age, then it’s great that you decided to come here and make a post.

To be honest, I think a lot of people are a bit scared of getting older and are a bit scared of what unknown things are going to be coming their way. I just want to make sure you know that you are not alone in that.

The thing about dreading what’s going to come three years from now means that you aren’t living for what’s going on in the moment, you’re living for what might happen in the future. Something big and life changing could happen, but… What happens if three years from now you find nothing has changed, or the only things that have changed are minor, and you realize you are the same person with basically the same problems? What could you have been doing for those three years you spent dreading what was coming? What’s something that you want to do that you could maybe try to change your focus to? This is just something to think about. I know it’s not easy to change your mindset when you’re scared of something that’s coming.

From your post, I’m guessing that taking more naps is possibly a negative thing for you? I agree that getting older can make you more tired and change your energy levels, but there are a lot of other things that can cause those changes. It’s not necessarily from getting older. A change in medication can cause it, or maybe your body is low on some vitamin or mineral. From personal experience, medication changes can be really rough. I started taking a med two months ago and I spend a heck of a lot more time sleeping than I used to. We are talking five or six more hours almost every day. Believe me when I say I’m not taking your fear of getting older lightly, and I understand that you possibly aren’t enjoying having to take a nap. I just wanted to give you a personal example. Have you talked to your doctor about the fact that you’re more tired? If you haven’t, it might be a good idea to bring it up at your next appointment.

You don’t have to answer any of the questions I’ve asked if you don’t want to, but they are things you can maybe think about.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the feed back Daisy!! Those are great things to think about going forward and seems like a role reversal that I get caught up too much in the moment of things and don’t look at some big pictures. I guess growing old is scary for most? The thing with the naps is it usually makes my rest patterns go out of whack now and then. Thanks again and have a nice weekend!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.