Feeling Betrayed

It’s hard to put into words how I feel, but I’ll just break it down I guess. Sorry for the word wall. It’s been a while since I’ve posted here.

I have a private Twitter account that I use as just a venting place and place to put get my thoughts out that I wouldn’t feel comfortable posting publicly. It’s easier for me to do so since I have my phone on me more often than I do my journal. I have a friend (not sure if I can call them that still) who followed it that I trusted to be there. Keep in mind, it’s everywhere on that account that it’s a place for me to vent and nobody is required to be there.

I’ve had a really rough few months. In that time frame, my parents got divorced, I had an absolutely awful and chaotic move to a new city 45-minutes away, and I have a full-time job while being a full-time college student. Recently, I had a pretty intense breakdown (my first in years, by the way) and, using my private space I created for myself, wrote out my thoughts and feelings in a thread. There was a content warning and everything, this person KNOWS that I have a history with depressive episodes, and they know the type of account it is. The morning after I posted my thread, I got a message from them pretty much forcing me out of our friend group.

The way they worded it was a thinly veiled “I care about you and you should take care of yourself” message but really it read more like a “you’re too much and you need to leave, and I’m not giving you a choice” kind of message. The next day, I found myself kicked from the group chats, unfollowed everywhere, removed from our D&D game, and even unmodded in their Twitch channel. To me, this feels like they just dropped me and cut me out because I was experiencing an intense low-point of my life. I was using my own safe, private space and they took my thoughts, COMPLETELY unrelated to them and had nothing to do with them, and used it as a reason to remove me from everything. They knew what I used the account for, they knew my history, and they just up and left like that. It almost feels like they were just waiting for a reason to get rid of me and my breakdown was a perfect opportunity to do so. The fact that they were so quick and thorough in clearing me out of everything really hurts me deeply. I’ve been to this persons house. I’m friends with their partner. I’ve cooked and cleaned for them. I’ve financially supported them. But I just get dropped at the sight of a bad mental health episode, from someone who claims to support and advocate for mental health and mental health care. They did this to a community member before when I was a moderator as well, and they still talk about them. I can’t help but feel like that’s my same fate and now my name’s being tainted. Messages from others in the group feel like they’d rather be doing anything else than talking to me. All this because I had a rough moment in time.

I feel betrayed, but I almost feel bad and stupid for feeling so. Maybe I should’ve just kept my thoughts to myself. My vulnerability, in my own private space, was essentially weaponized against me, but I can’t help but feel like maybe I shouldn’t feel the way I do. It’s confusing. Maybe I’m just thinking too deep into it and overanalyzing every little thing. I don’t know. I guess I’m just looking for validation if anything, because I can’t really get past it. I’m stuck and unsure how to move forward.

2 Likes

Hey there Ryan,

First, I want to say thank you for sharing your story. It is brave of you to open up like this.

Secondly, I am sorry that you have had such a rough patch of time. Depression sucks no matter what way you spin it. Put on top of it school and work, that is rough. I commend you for working so hard.

Finally, if they knew the history and everything you went through I am not sure why they would not talk to you like an adult. You even said that this person is a friend but you are unsure if you would even call them that anymore - and I am agreeing with you. Loving a person from a distance is not a bad thing.

You are cared for and loved here and your experiences are valid.

Hold Fast,
Zephirah / Andrea

Hey @RyanSummers,

I’m so very sorry for what happened with this “friend”. It breaks my heart that something that wasn’t your fault - a depressive episode -, and something that you have the right to do - expressing yourself -, created such a violent kind of rejection, or at least something that really appears as such. It is possible that this person really communicated in a poor way, but still some limits seems to be crossed in this situation.

In my very humble opinion, making a decision like this for the care and good of someone can be helpful, but it has to be done a certain way, with a lot of clear and loving communication, and more than anything not to cut every mean of contact with the person. For example, it would have make sense, from their perspective, if they only unmodded you and encouraged you to take care of yourself first and foremost. But being kicked from group chats and unfollowed everywhere is different, and doesn’t seem to be for the same purpose. As you said:

To me, this feels like they just dropped me and cut me out because I was experiencing an intense low-point of my life.

And I am so, so very sorry for that. I hope with all my heart that, somehow, you could both find a way to discuss about what happened and, regardless of the result, find at least some healing and/or closure. It is incredibly violent to be removed from someone’s life as if we never existed. I’ve been there, for unfair reasons, and I really understand how much it hurts. And how we feel, especially when it’s intense, can interfere with our capacity to keep some clarity at the moment. But… really, I want you to know that it’s not your fault.

I feel betrayed, but I almost feel bad and stupid for feeling so. Maybe I should’ve just kept my thoughts to myself. My vulnerability, in my own private space, was essentially weaponized against me, but I can’t help but feel like maybe I shouldn’t feel the way I do. It’s confusing.

You didn’t make any mistake by sharing your heart in what is your private, safe space. You gave your trust to this person. The reaction they had is something you couldn’t even imagine as being possible to happen. It’s not your fault. You haven’t done anything wrong. You are not guilty for struggling. You are not at fault for sharing your heart. And there is no “should” or “shouldn’t” when it comes to our emotions. I understand that it’s frustrating though, to feel that way. It’s like a vicious cycle and you’d like to have control over it so you wouldn’t feel so hurt. But, in any case, know that how you feel is completely understandable and valid. I would personally feel the same way you do in this situation.

Know that you still and always have a safe space right here. This kind of experience brings an intense sorrow and grief, and sometimes really question our ability to keep trusting people around us. But you will always have a safety net right here, and a safe space to share your heart as well. Being depressed, going through a rough time, is not a shame or a fault.

Be gentle with yourself, friend. This is something painful that you will surely need time to process. So please, take it easy. One day at a time.

I’m sending hugs your way. :hrtlegolove:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.