Feeling Goaless: Update

In February, I wrote to this site that I was feeling goalless. I think it was more of a byproduct of what’s been going on around the world or just plain feeling cruddy because too many people my age seemed to be doing better than I was at that time. Whatever the reason was, whatever excuse I was making for myself, the feelings needed to be addressed. That’s why I came here. I am grateful for the responses then and for the support I received.

With that being said, I wanted to give you an update on how I am feeling now. Aside from recent events that have left me a bit broken-hearted, I am doing better. I realized that the best thing for me to do is not to dwell on large unattainable goals but rather on shorter ones to focus on. Daily tasks like cleaning the kitchen or doing laundry. Although they don’t give great meaning to my life at least it’s something I look forward to. Now that the weather is better, I try to take a weekly walk around town to clear my head so that I don’t dwell on that hardships too much.

Thank you all who’ve opened up to me so long ago. I hope you all have a blessed weekend.

6 Likes

Thank you for checking in and letting us know how you’re doing. It sounds as though you have adopted a decent perspective about life. Regarding large, seemingly unattainable goals, I am reminded of a silly question, “how do you eat an elephant?” The answer is “one bite at a time.” The point that this relatively obnoxious “dad joke” is attempting to make, is that even huge undertakings can be accomplished by consistently focusing on manageable steps.

To consistently manage the small things in life, which really aren’t so small if they don’t get done, is in itself a huge accomplishment. You might be surprised at how many people can’t keep things clean or organized.

What gives great meaning to life? It is heroic and meaningful, just to remain kind and nonjudgmental in your daily life. A researcher talked about the “butterfly effect.” He said that the flapping of a butterfly’s wings in one part of the world, can trigger a cascade of events that ultimately lead to a typhoon somewhere else. The same is true for small acts and words of kindness. When you share a smile with someone who needs it, you are changing the course of human history, perhaps not by much in the moment, but like a pebble dropped into a pond, the effect will radiate outward, probably forever.

Walking or some form of exercise is good for the mind. It helps the brain get more oxygen. If you could get your heart rate up for 15 or 20 minutes, “feel good” endorphins are produced.

Take care of yourself, and let us know how you’re doing.

3 Likes

Hi @hufflepuffbruhv

That’s a great update! Thank you for sharing and I’m so glad you are working on yourself! I think you are really heading in a great direction, sometimes taking that first step is the worst step.

Wishing you a great week/Mish

2 Likes

hi @hufflepuffbruhv ,

this is an incredible update, my friend. i love how much this shift in goal-setting and outlooks in life can make things a bit easier in the long-run. i am so proud of your progress over the past few months and i am extremely excited for your future.

very thankful that you are in this heartsupport community can could return to update us on your progress. it truly inspires my own life and for that i am grateful! wishing you an awesome week ahead, my friend <3

love,
twix

1 Like

Hi @hufflepuffbruhv
Thank you so much for the update
I am always so pleased to read a positive update from someone, it brightens my heart to know that you are feeling better than you were back in February.
I’m sorry you have had a few issues lately but you are dealing with those which is fantastic and yes it is far better to focus on small obtainable tasks than the unreachable ones, that way you are not setting yourself up to fail.
I’m really proud of you and how you are doing and I look forward to hearing from you again in the future that you are still doing well and that you are happy.
Take care
Much Love
Lisa :heart:

1 Like