Back to heartsupport

For those times when you can't seem to stop yourself

Casey talks to a user from the Support Wall who is fully away of a challenge that they can’t seem to overcome. Listen in:

First Look:

1. What is a habit that you currently do that you know to be harmful, but you can’t seem to stop anyway?
  2. Do you have a justification for that habit, or do you simply acknowledge that it’s something that you do, and that you cannot stop?

In the video above, the user talks to Casey in a very open and vulnerable way - they say that the process of eating food, and everything associated with it, brings a great deal of anxiety and stress. The user is getting sick, is low on energy, and is struggling to find a way to cope (especially now that their therapy outlet has been disrupted).

Here’s the interesting part: the user conveys that their issue is a bad habit. They understand intuitively that what they’re doing it harmful to them, but they still can’t seem to stop. Casey congratulates the user, as this is great - it’s step #1 in recovery and health. Acknowledging that there is an issue and asking for help is the first step because without doing so, healing cannot take place. We all hold the right to say, “No, I’m not ready yet.”

Voicing the phrase, “I am doing something that I ultimately do not want to do” launches a person into recovery because then a new goal has manifested itself. They may not have written it down, or know concisely what it is, but the goal is there. The goal is to be ok not doing this harmful thing anymore.

Deeper Questions

1. Think about your habit that you wrote down above. Write down your goal that has manifested from your acknowledgement of the problem.
  2. Place that goal in the future - it’s not quite the “end” of your recovery (we’ll never be perfect!), but it’s where you want to be.
  3. Choose someone that you trust and that knows you well. Tell them about your goal and what you want to accomplish. Ask that person to help you start a journey of arriving at that goal.
  4. Then, hunt for resources. Find the “what” behind the “why” - research the chemical things taking place during your habit, the societal pressures that spur it on, and read about other people who have dealt with what you’re going through.
  5. Seek recovery. Begin your journey through whatever means are available to you - therapy, peer support, group therapy, church, or just a small number of people you trust. Share your experience below!
1 Like

My results:

First Look:

1. Yea, I’ll take food on this one too! I’m like many others - pretty disciplined during the week, no brakes on the weekend when it comes to food. The pandemic has made it more difficult as well - I’m under a bit more stress than I usually am, and food is a comfort to me. When Saturday rolls around - look out! The brakes come off and I dive into food most of the day.
  2. I have some justifications that I know are fake, but they allow the habit to continue - like I said above - I’m under stress, watching a 2 year old all week is tough, or maybe I don’t have the brain power to generate the discipline necessary to not stuff my face

Deeper Questions

1. My hidden goal here is: I want to have a steady, consistent way of eating that doesn’t spike up randomly when I’m tired or stressed. I’d like it to even out, and for me to to convince myself that stuffing my face can be an escape.
    3.4.5. I’ve been in recovery for food related stuff for some years, but I’d really like to tackle this Saturday eating one currently. I’m in conversation with 2 people that know me well and know this situation, and hope to squash this habit soon.