Back to heartsupport

For when you don't want to feel things anymore

In this video, Dan and Casey talk with a Support Wall user who wants to escape pain. Listen here:

First Questions:

1. Have you ever felt like the user in the video? Just done?
  2. Have you ever wanted to quit something so that you didn’t have to experience failure?

In the video Casey mentions that, some days, it feels like there’s so much to wade through that it feels like it’s not even worth it to get out of bed. Sometimes we give up before we’ve even started, and resign ourselves to allowing fear to reign in our hearts through our day. Fear of the unknown can emotionally cripple all of us so easily - mostly because if something is unknown, it can’t be properly dealt with. It just feels like some insurmountable task that you couldn’t possibly complete even if you wanted to (and you don’t really even know what it is).

Try This:

1. Today if you’re struggling with trying again, take out a piece of paper and write down the absolute worst that could happen today. You can be creative with it. For example: “I’m not going to school today, because if I do, I’ll fail this exam, and then my parents will kick me out of the house, and then I’ll be homeless, and probably die.”
  2. Now, take out another piece of paper. Write the best thing that could happen to you today. Something like, “Today I strolled into school and everyone started giving me high fives. My teacher didn’t let me take my exam. She told me, ‘this is beneath you’ and gave me a 100 without having to take it. That girl I like came up to me in the hallway and asked me out.”
  3. Visualize what your second paper would look like in the real work. Close your eyes and picture it happening. Pretty ridiculous right? Now take a look at your first paper. Come to terms with the fact that that is equally ridiculous.

We don’t know what’s going to happen today! The problem is how you’re viewing the problem. View today as a blank piece of paper, like the ones above, and go out into the world and write your story - the one that’s going to be somewhere in between the ones you wrote, but it’s one that’s real.

2 Likes

I still struggle w/ this feeling, IMO.